If you are planning to travel to Schengen countries like France or Spain, and have already applied for contact a Schengen Visa and getting it rejected several times owing to improper documents or application procedure. But, you are still wondering how long does it take to get Schengen Visa In India?The Schengen visa is a sign of freedom and is arguably one of the most desired items by travel enthusiasts around the world. This visa allows you to move freely within the country that issued it and other Schengen countries. So, a Schengen tourist visa to France would allow you to travel around Europe as long as you did not cross the borders into non-Schengen countries, like Britain. If you are considering traveling to Europe on a tourist visa, you may wonder how long it will take to get Schengen Tourist Visa in India?
How Long Does It Take To Get Schengen Visa In India
If you are planning to travel outside India, you must need a Schengen Visa. This article is about the steps that you should follow for applying for Schengen visa and visa processing time. If you want to apply for a visa, there are certain steps that you’ll have to follow carefully. You must make sure that your passport is an electronic passport. You can also print out the application form and fill it up manually, but we suggest that you use the online application system as it’s more efficient and easier. After filling up an application form, you’ll need to submit a payment of one hundred eighty Euros by using your debit or credit card.
Applying for a Schengen Visa in India – EU Visa Requirements for Indian Citizens
Indians travelling to Europe
India is one of the most important tourist markets for Europe with over 10 million Indians travelling to Europe every year. That number is expected to grow up to 15 million in 2020.
More than 1.1M applications for Schengen visas were submitted by Indians in 2019, according to recent statistics.
In total, 1,141,705 Schengen visas were submitted by Indians in 2017. Compared to the previous year, the number of applications filed in India saw an increase of 5.5 per cent. Alongside the increase in the number of applications, the rejection rate also increased. From 9.3 per cent as it was in 2018, the rejection rate increased to 10.8 per cent in 2019, or 123,175 visas not issued.
Do Indians need a visa to enter Europe?
Yes, Indian passport holders are required to obtain a Schengen visa in order to enter any European country in the Schengen Zone.
How to Apply for a Schengen Visa from India?
You will have to follow a step-by-step guideline to apply for a Schengen visa in India. The application procedure to obtain a Schengen visa in India is pretty similar to that in every other country in the world.
In order to apply for a Schengen visa from India you must follow these steps:
- Figure out which Schengen visa type you need. There are different Schengen visa types depending on your purpose of travelling from India to Europe.
- Find out where you need to apply for a Schengen visa in India. Pay attention to the embassy/consulate / VAC of which country you need to apply at, as well as under the jurisdiction of which you fall.
- Decide when to apply for a Schengen visa in India. The earliest time you can lodge your Schengen visa application in India is 3 months before your planned trip while the latest time to file your visa application is at least 15 working days before you intend to travel to Europe.
- Collect the required Schengen visa documents for Indian citizens.
- Appoint an interview at the visa application centre in India. Depending on the country, you may make an appointment online, by phone, or in person. Below in this article, you can find more information for each EU embassy/consulate located in India.
- Attend the interview on the day of your appointment. Show up on time and try not to be nervous. Remember that the interview is a crucial part of your visa application.
- Pay the visa fee. All Schengen states have fixed and synchronized visa fees. For more information check Schengen visa fees for Indian citizens.
- Wait for the processing of your visa. After the interview, you will have to wait for at most 15 days, for a response on your application.
All Schengen visa applications submitted by Indians are processed by the embassies/consulates in India.
Schengen Visa Requirements for Indian Passport Holders
When applying for a Schengen visa in India, you will have to submit a number of required documents. These documents are crucial; therefore, you really need to be careful when collecting them. Make sure they all comply with the standards set by the embassy where you are applying.
To apply for a Schengen visa in India, you need to submit the following documents:
- Download the visa application form. Fill it completely and with sincerity. You can also fill the Schengen Visa application form electronically and then print a hard-copy.
- Two recently taken photos must be attached. The photos should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background. Learn more about visa photo requirements for Indian citizens.
- A valid Indian passport or other travel documents. No older than 10 years, with a validity of at least 3 more months beyond your planned date of leaving Europe.
- Evidence of legal residence in India. – as a national ID card, or residence permit.
- Travel Insurance for Schengen visa in India – You can book online through the Europ Assistance website or via any travel insurance company in India that meets the following requirements: Medical coverage of at least Euro 30,000. Medical evacuation/ repatriation must be covered.
- A cover letter stating the purpose of the visit and itinerary.
- Flight itinerary reservation from India to Europe and back. Including dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from the specified state/states. Learn how to get a flight reservation for a visa from India.
- Proof of accommodation for the whole duration of the intended stay. Learn more about Hotel Booking for Visa application here.
- Proof of civil status. (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
Additional Schengen Visa Requirements based on your Employment Status in India
Depending on your occupational status in India, you will need to submit the following additional documents when applying for a visa to Europe from India:
If you are employed:
- Employment contract
- Current bank statement, of latest 6 months (Online Bank statements are not acceptable).
- Leave permission from your employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary
- A copy of your business license in India
- Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
If a student:
- Proof of enrollment
- No-objection certificate from your Indian school or university
- Pension statement of the latest 6 months
- Regular income generated by property proof of the latest 6 months
*Note: The signed application form must be accompanied by the rest of the mandatory documents, then handed personally at the correct Embassy/Consulate or its representatives in India.
Other specific requirements when applying for a different Schengen visa type in India:
- Business visa requirements for Indians
- Tourist visa requirements for Indians
- Visitor visa requirements for Indians
Who Can Apply for a Schengen Visa in India?
The EU countries have established their embassies, consulates and visa application centres all around India, which are responsible for the admission and procession of visa applications made by Indians. However, not everyone can apply for a Schengen visa in India.
Only the following are eligible to file their visa applications at the Schengen embassies/consulates / VACs in India
- Indian passport holders
- Nationals of third countries, which are required to obtain a visa to Europe, living in India under a permanent or temporary residence permit
Which Member State Examines and Decides on my Visa Application?
The Member State competent for deciding on your visa application must be:
- The Member State that is your sole destination of visit
- The Member State whose territory is the main destination of your visit (as far as length or purpose of stay), or
- The Member State whose borders you intend to cross first to enter the Schengen Area
What if the Schengen country you intend to visit has no Embassy/Consulate in India?
In this case or if the present Embassy/Consulate in India is not currently issuing visas, then your Schengen visa application should be submitted to the Schengen member state “representing” this specific country regarding visas.
Applications can be submitted to:
- Schengen visa application for Greece from Goa must be submitted to the Portuguese Consulate General in Goa, India.
- Schengen visa application for Slovakia from Mumbai must be submitted at the Hungarian General Consulate in Mumbai, India.
- Schengen visa application for Slovenia from Goa must be submitted at the Portugal General Consulate in Goa, India.
- Schengen visa application for Iceland must be submitted at the Danish Embassy in New Delhi, India.
- Schengen visa application must be submitted at the Embassy of Switzerland in New Delhi, India.
What if I apply at the Member State or Consulate that is not competent for deciding on my Visa Application?
In such cases, the Consular post will, without delay, return the application form and any other documents submitted by the applicant, reimburse the visa fee and indicate in which competent consulate you should apply next.