We offer the required services for anyone who plans to obtain a work permit in Malaysia. We know that business people and employees can work without a salary and minimize the total cost of running a new enterprise as well as maximize their profits. The processing of a work permit in Malaysia takes between 10-14 days depending on your nationality, age, type of job, qualifications and experience.The permit to work in Malaysia is an important document that you need to get when working with a Malaysian company. On average, it takes about a month to process the work permit, but it can be more depending on the company and your nationality. If you need help obtaining your work permit, we can help.
How Many Days To Process Work Permit In Malaysia
Malaysia is a favored tourist country and popular for foreign workers. People all around the world are willing to work here, no matter how difficult the rules and processes are. The main reason; Malaysia offers a number of personal benefits, whether it is for education, marriage or employment purposes. For people who want to stay in Malaysia for job purpose, getting a temporary employment pass from Immigration Department could take one to three days to process.
Why is Work Permit Needed?
A work permit is a crucial document that acts as your official permission to stay and work in a particular country. Malaysia, an otherwise popular tourist destination, is also abundant in terms of work opportunities for those with a valid Malaysia work permit. If you are wondering how I can get a work permit in Malaysia, there are three main kinds of permits based on duration and nature of work.
About The Malaysia Job Market
Expatriates who wish to work in Malaysia should have more details about the Malaysian job market or the kind of industries that are booming there.
Number of Expats
Popular Industries for Expats
IT, Engineering, Banking and Finance, Teaching, Marketing and Tourism.
Expat Job Websites
Types of Malaysia Work Permit Available
Working in Malaysia without work permit is not possible as the country has special work passes and schemes called an Employment pass. These passes differ depending on the nature and length of employment.
This is the most common type of Malaysian work permit for foreign workers. It enables them to take up employment under a contract in a Malaysian company.
To employ foreign workers, the employers need to get approval through the Expatriate Committee to hire an employee and obtain their visa. You need to have a specific skill set to fit into technical or managerial level jobs.
It is divided into three categories, based on monthly salary and duration of the work contracts:
Category I: Those with a monthly salary of at least RM10,000 and a 5-year work contract.
Category II: Those with a monthly base salary of above RM5,000 and a work contract of up to 2 years.
Category III: Those with a monthly salary between RM 3,000 and RM 5,000 and a work contract of up to a year or less.
Temporary Employment Pass:
This pass is given to semi-skilled workers in specific sectors. Employees need to meet certain qualifications to get this Malaysian work permit.
It is further divided into two categories- Foreign worker temporary employment pass and Foreign domestic helpers (FDH) temporary employment pass.
Professional Visit Pass:
This pass is granted to qualified foreign workers allowing them to work in Malaysia on a temporary basis for up to 12 months.
So if you want to work in the country on a temporary basis, the professional visit pass is your answer to how can I get work permit in Malaysia.
Requirement for Malaysia Work Permit by Malaysian Employers
Since it is not possible to be working in Malaysia without work permit, it is the employer’s responsibility to issue the Employment Pass on behalf of their foreign employee. So there are certain requirements that employers have to fulfil.
- The employer has to submit an application for foreign worker quota approval.
- During the application, the employer has to justify why a foreigner would be apt for the position, also stating the benefits to the company.
- After the quota approval, the employee can issue a limited supply of Employment Passes to foreign employees.
- Your company should be operating in manufacturing, construction, agriculture, plantation and services industries in order to avail this opportunity.
- After submitting the application, an employer has to qualify for an interview with a representative from the Ministry for the company’s specified sector.
Employer has to submit these documents during the work permit sponsorship process:
- Application form for foreign workers quota
- Particulars of applicant company
- Details of employment structure
- Copy of employment contract with original stamp
- Job description for the position
- Memorandum and Articles of Association
- Additional documents related to sector/ Copy of approval from Malaysian agencies
Requirement for Malaysia Work Permit by Employees
Once the employer offers an Employment Pass, the employee has to submit the following documents required to get a work permit in Malaysia:
- Valid passport
- Being above 27 years of age (except IT sector)
- Duly filled application form
- Original employment contract
- 3 recent passport-size photos
- Confirmation letter from the employer about salary and tax revenues
Malaysia Work Permit Application Process
Malaysia Employment Pass is the common form of work permit requested by employers. Here’s how the Malaysian work visa application process goes:
- As an employer, you need to apply to get approval for hiring foreign employees from official government agencies related to your sector.
- After the approval for the expatriate employee, the employer has to submit the Employment Pass application to the Immigration Department of Malaysia.
- The letter of approval is attached to the application for Employment Pass submitted to the employee.
- The employee can then apply for their visa depending on the field of work and the type of position held.
- Submit the necessary documents including qualifications, photos, passport, and work contract.
- Pay the visa fee. The Malaysia work permit visa fees for Indians may differ from the Malaysia work permit visa fees for Pakistani. So check for the fees carefully and make the payment.
- You will be notified when your work permit is approved. You can track the status of your Malaysia work permit visa online by providing the passport number on the website.
Timeframe for Work Permit Application
The processing time for a Malaysian work permit is usually up to 5 days. Depending on the number of applications at the embassy, processing times could vary. However, all applications are processed within 7 days. The initial letter of approval from your hiring company may take more time.
How Does Multiplier Help With Work Permit?
With the many permissions and approvals to employ a foreign worker, getting a work permit in Malaysia does seem tedious. But Multiplier, a global EOR solution, can make it easier. With local entities over 100 countries we enable you to employ people from all around the world. Our suite of HR solutions and in-house experts can readily assist you to employ foreign workers.
Make a request for a Malaysia work permit through our SaaS-based solution. Our in-house experts are trained to deliver as per your expectations. Our end-end solutions will smoothly guide you through your queries on how to apply work permit for foreign worker in Malaysia.