Essentially Canada is one of the home for students as it offers numerous opportunities in an educational field. Filling an application form for any visa option, getting your documentation done and taking care of the necessities are a fantastic idea if you are planning to study in Canada. All the students must be familiar with the expenses of student visa in Canada.
The primary and key aspects of student visa are depend on the nationality of the applicant. The detailed information about the application procedure, requirements and costs of student visa is per country. If you want to get update information about student visa procedure so you should contact with our consultant.There are various types of visa which can be applied on the basis of some criteria. One among these types of visa is student visa. It is also popular as study permit. It is offered to students who wants to study from abroad.
How Much Expenses Of Student Visa In Canada
This visa would be given to students for remaining in the country for a specific time period that is mentioned on the certificate. Visa for Canada for students are given on the basis of their education qualification, score and other things but admission in institution depends upon its own rules and system because every institution has its own admission criterion. The institution checks the performance record of students before taking admission through interview conducted by it or any fund agency or government body like IELTS for English language based qualification and CELPIP (Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program ) for French language based qualification only after meeting all these qualifications it analyses the admission amount charged by those institutions, check their need and give final call regarding visa issue.
What is a Study Permit?
A study permit is a document issued by the Canadian immigration authorities that serves as permission for foreign students to study in Canada. International students cannot study in Canada without getting a valid study permit. Apart from this, students who get a study permit are allowed to enroll in Designated Learning Institutions.
Getting the Study Permit
You are required to carry the Letter of Introduction along with all the specified documents to Canada. At the airport, you would meet with an Immigration Officer. Present the Passport and the Letter of Introduction to the border control agency officer who would then validate the same and if found adequate, issue you your Study Permit.
Eligibility criteria for Canada Student Visa
You can apply for a Canada Study visa if you fulfill the following criteria:
- You have been accepted by a designated learning institute (DLI).
- You need to prove that you have adequate funds to pay your tuition fee and living expenses.
- You need to prove that you have a clean background and no criminal record. The aspirants need to produce a police verification certificate to prove this.
- You need to do a health checkup and produce a medical certificate that certifies that you are in good health.
Also at the time of the visa interview, you need to convince the visa officer that you will leave Canada once you complete your studies.
Which Documents are required for Canadian Visa?
You should apply for a student visa after you get the college acceptance letter. You should begin with the visa process around June if aiming at the September intake. The following are the documents needed to apply For Canada Student Visa.
1. Valid Passport
You would need a Valid Passport to be able to apply for a Study Permit. As of the Canadian High Commission, it is important that you have a passport whose validity covers the intended stay in Canada. For instance, if you plan to travel to Canada in September 2022 for a two-year course, your passport should be valid until at least September 2024.
2. Proof of Acceptance by a Designated Learning Institution
You would need the acceptance letter from the university/institute you are planning to attend. A Designated Learning Institute is a University that is recognized by the Immigration Department. (Here’s a list for your reference). In case you are applying for Quebec, you would also need a CAQ which would be duly notified.
3. Proof of Funds
At the time of application for your Study Permit, you would have to show proof of funds. As per the present standards, you would have to prove that you would have enough funds to pay our tuition fees as well as take care of living expenses. The Canadian Immigration deems a student would require at least CAD 10,000 for every year of your stay. Apart from the above two, the student would also have to prove that he/she has enough funds for a return fair as well.
While filling out the application form, you would have to show the proof of fees paid as well as the stipulated cost of living @ CAD 10,000. If you are applying for Quebec you require at least CAD 11,000 for every year of your stay.
4. Passport Size Photographs
If you have opted for an offline application, you would need two passport-sized photographs that conform to the given standards. For an online application, you must procure a digital copy of the photograph which should not be more than 4MB. Other requirements are standard neutral facial expression, plain background as well as no headgear (unless for religious purposes). Note:
- Size of the image should be at least 35 mm x 45 mm
- Image should be recent (not older than 6 months)
5. Immigration Medical Examination (IME)
Canadian Immigration requires international students from India to undergo a compulsory Immigration Medical Examination from empanelled doctors. Students would have to book an appointment and visit the listed doctors for a medical examination, preferably a week before they start their Visa Application. This is to give the doctor enough time to validate and upload the necessary documents. Booking an appointment in advance with the nearest facility/ practitioner as per the list of empanelled doctors is always advised.
The panel physician will perform a complete medical exam and may refer you for chest x-rays and laboratory tests. Once your exam has been completed, the physician will send the results to CIC.
6. English Language Proficiency Exam Score
Though not mandatory to have at the time of application, we strongly recommend that you have appeared for and get your English Language Proficiency Score before you start your Visa Application Process. As it is, you would have had to submit your English language proficiency score to confirm your admission to the Canadian University. TOEFL, IELTS, etc. are all acceptable.
7. Statement of Purpose
When applying for a Canadian Study Permit, you would be required to submit an essay stating the purpose of your trip to Canada and why you have chosen the particular institution. This would be prompted as an optional document in the checklist but we strongly recommend that you submit the same.
8. Credit Card
In case you are making an online application, you would also require a credit card to pay the application fee. The Visa Application Fee for Indian students for Canada is CAD 150. Please remember that the system only accepts credit cards and not debit cards. Also, it is not necessary that it is your credit card. You can use your parent’s cards as well, provided you have explicit permission to do so.
Apart from the above, if applying online, you would need access to a digital scanner. However, if you are applying offline, you should have true copies of all the above-mentioned documents. It is important to note that while applying online, you would be required to download a few documents, fill them out, print them, sign them, and then upload them. Accordingly, the availability of the scanner must be arranged. The system also allows you to upload a good-quality digital image. We, however, recommend a scanner for a camera.
During the personal interview, additional documents may be requested by the interviewer. These may be documents to prove evidence of academic or financial status. These may include:
- Transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates from schools you attended
- Scores from tests, such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, or GMAT
- Your intent to depart from Canada upon completion of the course of study
- How you will pay all educational, living, and travel costs
Also, read about student visas for study abroad and student visas for popular international study destinations:
You might be interested in these free downloads Previous
Student Visas for Study Abroad: Requirement, Fees …Download Guide15k downloads
Australia Student Visa Guide: SubClass, Requiremen…Download Guide3k downloads
UK Student Visa Guide: UK Study Visa Requirements,…Download Guide3k downloads
New Zealand Student Visa Guide: Qualifications, Ap…Download Guide1k downloads
USA Student Visa Guide: Types, Cost, Requirement a…Download Guide5k downloads
Interview Guide for F1 Student Visa for USADownload Guide5k downloads Next
How to Apply for a Canadian Visa for Study
Follow the below-mentioned steps to apply for the Canada student visa process.
- Check the processing times – The visa application cycle might take anywhere from 3-4 weeks. It is advisable to go through the Canadian consulate website to know the approximate time taken to process the student visa. Please note that the time shown is not a guarantee and is just an estimate.
- Determine how you will apply. There are two ways to apply:
(a) Apply online
To apply online you must have access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents for uploading and have a valid credit card for payment. You will still be required to provide a finger scan at the regional Visa Application Centre (VAC). Remember, in the case of Online Applications you need to visit the VFS offices to hand in your passports and would have to provide the confirmation of form and fee payment as well. the steps would only vary in terms of documents you need to carry to the VAC.
(b) Apply in person
Download the application kit and read the instruction guide. The instruction guide contains important information about study permits and instructions to help you complete your application. Read the guide carefully and use the document checklist.
- Fill out the VFS Consent Form and attach it with your application form. You need this form to get the assistance of VFS services for your visa filing process.
- Pay the processing fee – Note that when submitting an application via the VFS, in person or by mail, visa fees must be paid in addition to VFS Global service charges. The processing fee is non-refundable in all cases.
- If your spouse/common-law partner and/or children are accompanying you and you are applying for temporary resident visas, work permits, or study permits for them, then you will need to pay the appropriate processing fees for them.
- Submit your application and supporting documents – You have to visit the nearest VFS office. Once you are there, pay the service charges and hand them your complete application to obtain a receipt. This receipt contains your unique tracking number which you will need to track the progress of your application online.
In case your application is approved you will receive notification from the Government of Canada requesting your passport. You can submit the passport and passport request letter in person or through VFS. You would be provided with a Temporary Resident Visa and a Letter of Introduction.
Download this guide to read it offline
Tell Us About Yourself
When do you plan to start?
Have you given any study abroad exam?
YesNoBookedDownload Guide As PDF
39k users downloaded this guide
Canada Student Visa Fees
- A study permit for Canada costs CAD 150, which is roughly equivalent to INR 9,305 (as shared on the CIC Website) as per the current exchange rate. Since the exchange rate keeps changing, we would advise you to check the same at the time of your visa application.
- Canadian Visa Applications are available both online and offline. As such, the visa processing fees can be made both online (by means of a credit card) or offline (by means of demand draft if paying at the High Commission of Canada) or by cash at the VAC. This fee must be paid when the application is submitted or a fee receipt of online payment provided. The Demand Draft required is to be drawn out in favor of the High Commission of Canada in Indian rupees. VACs accept only Cash Payments.
- Also, the visa fee mentioned does not include VAC service charges. You would have to pay the additional service charges as applicable for your region. Also, a receipt will be issued for each payment received. Please keep the receipt as proof of payment.
- Post submission of your visa application, students need to submit a biometric fee of CAD 85. Candidates need to submit this fee in addition to the regular visa fee. After this, your biometrics will be taken at a Visa Application Centre.
Processing Time for the Canada Student Visa
Processing time is the time taken by the CIC for processing a visa application. It starts when the aspirant files the application until the final decision day. As such, there is no specific time period mentioned for processing a Canada study visa application. Aspirants (both online and paper) can view the status of their applications through their MyCIC accounts.
Study Permit Renewal
For staying in Canada, students need to have a valid study permit. If in case, your study permit expires before completion of your studies (program) then you need to apply for renewal of study permit. Ideally, you should apply at least30 days before your current permit expires. Candidates can submit their applications through mail or online.
Looking for Abroad Counselling? Get Free Profile Evaluation from Shiksha Expert Counsellors – Sign Up Now
Spouses can accompany full-time students on a Dependent visa. You only need to show that adequate funds are available for their support. Spouses can also work full time if their stay is for a year or more.
In some cases, you may apply for an open work permit if you will be accompanying your spouse or common-law partner to Canada. With an open work permit, you may find and accept any job when you get to Canada. You do not need a job offer or a positive labor market impact assessment to apply for your work permit.
Canadian Embassy and Consulates Addresses-
1. High Commission of Canada, New Delhi
7/8 Shantipath, Chanakyapuri
New Delhi 110 021, India
Phone: 011-4178 2000
2. Consulate General of Canada
World Trade Center, 22nd Floor
26/1, Dr. Rajkumar Road
Bengaluru – 560055