Quebec Study Visa With Spouse

Quebec study visas for spousesAs part of their settlement plan Quebec has issued significant amounts of student visas to international students. It is now easier to get a Quebec student visa with a spouse.Today, students who want to study in Quebec will find it easier to get a study visa if they are traveling with a spouse or common law partner since the visa duration has been extended from one year to two years.

If you are a foreign national who is married to someone who is a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, getting a Quebec study visa with spouse can be much easier than if you don’t have this connection.

You are fortunate if you are reading this article because it means that you might be planning to live in gold mine rich Quebec. Quebec, Canada is one of the most beautiful destinations to make your home. If you are thinking of relocating in Quebec with spouse, you have a choice of Quebec immigration programs that you can fall back on. These include sponsorship by relatives or by a job offer or business investment.

Quebec Study Visa With Spouse

The Immigrant Investor Program was officially cancelled in January 2014 by the government of Canada. The processing time and the application fee were reduced significantly, and now, the Quebec Immigrant Investor Program might have all the resources to attract a huge number of international students to study in Quebec and bring their families along to enjoy the stay of mountains and lakes.

Obtaining a work permit for your spouse

Your spouse may work during your stay in Québec, regardless of whether you are:

  • Legally married
  • Partners in a de facto union
  • The same sex or a different sex

You must take the steps for your spouse at the same time as your own application. 

If you hold a work permit issued under LMIA exemption A75 , your spouse is eligible for an open work permit, regardless of whether your work permit is open or employer-specific.

Otherwise, the steps to be taken vary according to the type of job you will hold in Québec. You must first find the title, code and type or skill level of your occupation .

If the job you are going to occupy is Level  0, A or B from the National Occupational Classification, your spouse may apply for an open work permit   to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

If the job you occupy is Level C or D according to the National Occupational Classification, your spouse may come to Québec:

Full-time or part-time studies for your spouse

It is possible for your spouse to study full time or part time in Québec while you work there temporarily.

To do this, she or he must obtain the authorizations to study in Québec. Your spouse may submit an application from abroad, at the same time as your application as a temporary worker.

Youe spouse will have to assume the cost of her or his studies to come study in Québec, unless they are eligible for a tuition exemption.

Your children’s education

The authorizations to be obtained for the education of your children who accompany you vary according to their level of schooling and their age. 

Before elementary school

Your children who accompany you and who are not old enough to attend school do not need to obtain authorizations.

Starting from elementary school

Starting from elementary school, your minor children who accompany you generally will have to obtain: 

  • A Québec Acceptance Certificate, issued by the Gouvernement du Québec
  • A work permit, issued by the Government of Canada.

For the steps to take, go to Authorizations to study in Québec page.

You must apply for admission to a school in the neighbourhood where you will reside during your study so that your child can attend:

  • Kindergarten
  • Elementary school, or
  • Secondary school

You may not have to pay tuition, except if your children are enrolled in:

  • A private institution
  • A college institution, or
  • A university institution

You then may have to pay the same fees as residents of Québec.

Children 18 years or older

Your children over 18 years old who accompany you must submit their own application for studies or temporary work.

Language of education

Even though Québécois children must attend Francophone schools to the end of their secondary education, you have the possibility of choosing your children’s language and institution for the duration of your temporary stay.

Studies in French

If your children are enrolled in the public sector but do not have a sufficient knowledge of French, they will be integrated into a welcome class to learn basic French. They then will be integrated into regular courses.

Studies in English

If you wish to enroll your child in a school where education is given in English, you must apply for a temporary authorization from that institution. You will have to provide your child’s birth certificate or any other official document attesting to:

  • Your child’s date of birth
  • Your child’s sex
  • The names of your child’s parents

Leave a Comment