Re Entry Visa For British Passport

If you are the national of India and possess a British passport and you want to visit the states in future then you need to apply for a reentry visa. Well, this reentry visa is also known as Indian Origin Visa because Indians are eligible to apply for this kind of visa but as we know that some other nationals also get benefits of this particular visa. This entry re-visa has been offered by the home office of England so if you have dual nationality then it will not be given to you.

Been outside the UK for more than 2 years? Then you need to apply for a Re-Entry Visa to enter the UK. If this is your case, our qualified experts will advise you on what do and how to apply. The team will also deal with your application quickly and efficiently, at an affordable price.

If you hold a British passport, and want to come back to the United Kingdom (UK) temporarily, you will probably need to apply for a re-entry visa. The definition of a British Citizen is: “British citizens are people who are regarded as nationals in the UK.” Usually, this means people are born with British citizenship or have obtained it via naturalisation, registration or from their parents. A British citizen can live and work in any country around the world without requiring any further documentation or permits.

Re Entry Visa For British Passport

The UK is one of the most sought-after countries to visit, to study, and set up a business. Its influence in the world and role in global affairs continues to grow by the day. This has seen a fairly large influx of people wanting to enter or leave the country, especially for work or studies.

indefinite leave to remain

You may be able to live permanently in the UK as a ‘returning resident’ if you were previously settled here.

You must:

  • have had indefinite leave to remain in the UK when you last left
  • not have received financial support from the Home Office to leave the UK

What you need to do depends on how long you were away.

You cannot apply for a Returning Resident visa if you lose your settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme. Check how long you can stay outside the UK if you have settled status.

If you were away for less than 2 years

You still have your indefinite leave to remain if you were away for less than 2 years.

When you travel to the UK, show the stamp, vignette or biometric residence permit that originally gave you permission to settle here.

If it’s in an old passport, carry both your old passport and your new passport when you travel.

If you’ve lost your original stamp, vignette or biometric residence permit

If you do not have your original stamp, vignette or biometric residence permit, you may not be allowed to enter the UK.

You will need to get a replacement biometric residence permit (BRP).

If you were away for more than 2 years (Returning Resident visa)

You lose your indefinite leave to remain if you’ve been outside the UK for 2 or more continuous years.

You may be able to re-enter the UK and get indefinite leave to remain by applying for a Returning Resident visa.

You may not need to apply if your partner is in the British armed forces, or works for certain UK government departments or the British Council.


You must provide enough evidence to show:

  • your strong ties to the UK – for example you or your family have lived here most of your life
  • your current circumstances and why you’ve lived outside the UK

Family members (‘dependants’)

Your dependants (partner and children) need to apply separately for a Returning Resident visa if they’re eligible.


It costs £531 to apply.

How long it takes

Check the guide processing times to find out how long it might take to get a visa in your country.

Documents you’ll need

You’ll need to provide:

  • a current passport or other valid travel identification
  • previous passports
  • passport-sized colour photograph
  • documents that prove you have ties to the UK, for example proof you’ve earned income, or rented or owned property, in the UK

You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.


You must apply online for a Returning Resident visa.

Once you’ve started your application, you can save your form and complete it later.

You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a visa application centre.

You may be able to get your visa faster depending on what country you’re in – check with your visa application centre.

North Korea

You cannot apply online from North Korea.

You must:

Armed forces, government and British Council employees

You still have your indefinite leave to remain even after 2 years outside the UK if your spouse or partner does certain jobs.

This means you do not need a Returning Resident visa.

This applies to you if your spouse or partner is a member of the British armed forces and you’ve joined them on an overseas posting.

This also applies to you if they’re a British citizen or settled in the UK and they’re a:

  • permanent member of the Diplomatic Service
  • UK-based British Council employee who works outside the UK
  • Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) employee
  • Home Office employee

Leave a Comment