Transit Visa For Japan

If you are planning your Japan trip and looking to extend your stay in Japan, you might be wondering what type of visa it is. To find out all the information that is needed to understand “Transit Visa For Japan”.

Getting into Japan that easy, especially for countries in the Schengen zone, you can enter and leave at any point throughout your trip. The visa is valid for a period of 90 days after entering Japan, and you must use it up within a 180 day period starting from the date of entry.

Japan is one of the most beautiful countries in the world. The country has many attractions for tourists such as Mt. Fuji, Tokyo Tower and many more. However, to enter Japan as a tourist, you must have a transit visa.

Japan is an island nation located in East Asia. It consists of four major islands: Hokkaido, Honshu, Kyushu and Shikoku. It also includes numerous smaller islands including Okinawa and Ryukyu Islands in addition to hundreds of smaller islands.

The capital of Japan is Tokyo which has a population of over 13 million people. Tokyo is also one of the largest cities in the world with over 30 million residents living in its metropolitan area alone!

If you want to visit Japan but do not have time for a tourist visa then you can apply for a transit visa which allows you to stay in Japan for up to 72 hours without spending any money there (except for transportation costs).

Japan is one of the most popular destinations in the world. It’s a country that offers a unique blend of old and new, with beautiful cultural traditions and modern conveniences. The country also has an extensive public transportation system that makes traveling around the country easy and convenient. However, if you’re planning on visiting Japan, you’ll need to get your Transit Visa for Japan in order to travel by train or plane within the country.

What is a Transit Visa For Japan?

The Transit Visa for Japan allows foreigners from certain countries to enter Japan for up to 72 hours without needing an entry visa. This is especially helpful if you’re planning on taking a train or plane within Japan, because it means that you don’t have to purchase separate tickets for each leg of your journey. You can simply purchase one ticket from point A to point B, then use this visa as proof that you’re allowed into the country during your layover period at point B before continuing onto point C.

If you’re traveling around Japan for more than three days, you’ll need to apply for a transit visa.

If you’re traveling from one country to another via Japan, you can stay in the country for up to 72 hours without having to get a visa—but if you want to stay longer, then you’ll need an appropriate visa. Japan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has set out rules for how long people are allowed to stay in its country without a visa and what kind of documents they need.

For example, if you’re flying through Tokyo on your way to another destination, then there are no restrictions on how long you can stay in Tokyo. However, if you want to spend some time sightseeing while in Tokyo or visiting friends or family there, then you should apply for a transit visa before arriving at Narita or Haneda Airport.

Who Needs a Visa to Transit Through Japan?

You need a transit visa for Japan if:

  • You are not from one of the countries on the list below; and
  • You intend to enter Japan while traveling to a third country of destination (ie. you will leave the airport)

You will usually be issued a transit visa if you have a connecting flight at another airport, which means you have no choice but to leave the airport’s premises or is there is no connecting flight within the same day.

Nationals of the following countries do not need a Japan Transit Visa:

  • Andorra
  • Argentina
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Bahamas
  • Belgium
  • Brunei (visa exemption for up to 15 days)
  • Bulgaria
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • Costa Rica
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Dominican Republic
  • El Salvador
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Guatemala
  • Honduras
  • Hong Kong
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Macao
  • Malta
  • Mauritius
  • Mexico
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • North Macedonia
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Republic of Korea
  • Romania
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Spain
  • Surinam
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • Tunisia
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
  • Uruguay

Passport holders of the following countries are exempt from Japan Transit Visas only if they have a Machine-Readable Passport (MRP) or an ePassport in line with ICAO standards:

  • Barbados
  • Indonesia (visa exemption for up to 15 days)
  • Lesotho
  • Malaysia
  • Serbia
  • Thailand (visa exemption for up to 15 days)
  • Turkey
  • United Arab Emirates (visa exemption for up to 30 days)

However, for citizens of some of the aforementioned countries, specific rules apply. See Who needs a Japan Visa?

Who Can Transit in Japan Without a Visa?

If you would normally need a visa to enter for Japan, you can transit without a visa only if:

  • You have a confirmed onward ticket within the same calendar day
  • You stay within the international transit area of the airport
  • You have the necessary documents needed for the next country of destination

If you are traveling through Tokyo International Airport (Haneda Airport) or Kansai International Airport in Osaka, you can transit without a visa if:

  • You have a confirmed onward ticket within the next 72 hours
  • You stay within the international transit area of the airport
  • You have the necessary documents needed for the next country of destination

If you have a travel ticket within 72 hours and there are no other connecting flights on the same day, you may be able to obtain a Shore Pass on arrival (see below).

What Documents Do I Need for a Japan Transit Visa Application?

When you apply for a Japan Transit Visa, you need the following supporting documents:

  • Japan Visa Application Form, completed and signed. You can download a copy of the application form from the website of the Japan Ministry of Foreign Affairs (here). Complete all the fields, even if they do not apply to you (write “N/A”).
  • Your passport, which must be valid for at least another six months and have at least two blank pages for the visa to be affixed in.
  • Cover letter stating the purpose of your travel.
  • Passport-size pictures of yourself, with the following specifications:
    • Dimensions: 4.5cm x 4.5cm
    • White background
    • Taken in the last six months
    • You must be staring straight ahead, with a neutral facial expression
    • Your entire face has to be visible
    • Your name and birthdate have to be written on the back
  • Flight Itinerary, stating a detailed plan of your arrival and departure dates, flight reservation number, the Certificate of Reservation issued by the airline, etc.
  • Daily Itinerary. You have to include an itinerary of your daily activities in Japan. You can find a sample itinerary for Japan Visa at the website of the Japan Ministry of Foreign Affair (here).
  • Valid visa for the third country of destination.
  • Bank statements, proving you can finance yourself.
  • Latest Income Tax Returns

How to Apply for a Japan Transit Visa?

You have to apply for a Japan Transit Visa from one of the Diplomatic Representation offices of Japan abroad (an Embassy or Consulate). The application process for a Japan Transit Visa is as follows:

  1. Contact the Embassy or Consulate to book an appointment.
    • The diplomatic mRFission offices of some countries do not accept individual applications, however, and you may have to apply through an accredited travel agency.
  2. Collect the required documents for a Japan Transit Visa (see below)
  3. Submit the documents at the Embassy/Consulate or the travel agency.
  4. Wait for the visa to be processed. This will usually take 5 working days, starting from the day the Japanese Representative Office receives your completed application.
  5. Collect your passport Embassy/Consulate/travel agency. If the application has been approved, your visa will be affixed and you can use it to travel to Japan within three months.

How Much is the Transit Visa Fee?

The fee for a Japan Transit Visa is 700 Yen. You have to pay the fee at the Embassy or Consulate only if your visa application is approved.

Keep in mind:

The Japan visa cost may be slightly different based on your nationality, the type of visa you apply for and the local currency.

If you apply through an approved travel/visa application agency, they will charge you an additional service fee.

For How Long is a Japan Transit Visa Valid?

The Japan Transit Visa is issued for a maximum of 15 days, and it cannot be extended.

Japan Shore Pass

If you have a travel ticket within 72 hours and there are no other connecting flights on the same day, you may be able to obtain a Japan Transit Visa on arrival, which is known as a Japan Shore Pass. The Shore Pass application is usually handled by your airline, so you should contact them to learn if they can help you receive it before you travel. You are eligible for the Japan Shore Pass if:

  • You have all the required documents for the final country of destination
  • You have enough financial means to cover the duration of your stay
  • You will arrive and depart from an airport or seaport located in the same groups:
  • Group A:
    • Airports: Narita (NRT), Haneda (HND), Nagoya (NGO), Niigata (KIJ), Komatsu (KMQ) and Yokota (OKO).
    • Seaports: Tokyo, Yokohama, Niigata, and Nagoya.
  • Group B:
    • Airports: Osaka (KIX), Nagoya (NGO) and Komatsu (KMQ)
    • Seaports: Osaka, Kobe and Nagoya.
  • Group C:
    • Airports: Fukuoka (FUK), Nagasaki (NGS), Kumamoto (KMJ), Kagoshima (KOJ), Naha (OKA) and Kadena (DNA)
    • Seaports: Hakata (Fukuoka), Shimonoseki and Naha (Okinawa)
  • Group D:
    • Airport: Chitose (CTS)
    • Seaports: Tomakomai, Otaru, Hakodate and Muroran.


The Touriago visa gives you a hassle-free visa run to Japan at any time and through any airport in Japan. With this visa, you can stay up to 3 months in Japan as a tourist and leave/re-enter for another 3 months. It’s perfect for digital nomads, anyone on business trip, or even just ex-pat families visiting relatives in Japan. Their website is great and has everything you need to know about the Touriago visa and what it can do for you!

Leave a Comment