Travel Visa For China

It is common knowledge that China has a lot of bureaucratic red tape up its sleeve. This is no more evident than what they require you to accomplish in order to get a transit visa in China. Fortunately, with some practice and readiness, you will be able to survive their visa process and live to tell your friends.

In order to visit certain parts of China, you need to get a transit visa. However, there are some areas that have easier visas than others. Find out more in this article!

Conference attendees from various countries will get together in Beijing to participate in this conference. Many of them would like to visit another city besides Beijing during their stay in China. But the Beijing visa does not allow this, unless they apply for a transit visa for China.

If you’re holding a visa to enter from another country and you pass through China, you will need a transit visa. But with so many different types of visas for travelers, knowing exactly what you need can be tricky.

A Transit Visa (G Visa) is issued to a foreign citizen who is to transit through China on his/her way to a third country or region and will stay at a Chinese airport for more than 24 hours or will need to leave the airport.

Ⅰ. Visa-free Transit

1) A foreign citizen who is transiting through China by air is exempted from a visa if he/she will stay only in the airport for no more than 24 hours and has a valid connecting ticket with confirmed seating on an international flight.

2) Citizens holding passports issued by the following countries are exempted from a visa if transiting through Shanghai and staying for no more than 48 hours in Shanghai. These visitors can leave the airport but must enter and exit from China via Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport or Shanghai Pudong International Airport: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United States of America.

Ⅱ.Please submit the following documents for your Transit (G) Visa application:

1)Passport: You should submit your original passport that is valid for at least another 6 months with at least one blank visa page and a photocopy of the passport’s information/photo page.

2)Application Form: You should submit the Visa Application Form of the People’s Republic of China which is truthfully completed and signed. You should submit the truthfully completed and signed Supplementary Visa Application Form if you are a citizen of a third country, or if someone traveling with you shares the same passport as you.

3)Photo: Please affix one color photo on the Application Form. The photo should be recent, front view, in2 x2 inch size without head covering.

4)The third country passport holders should provide the original and a photocopy of proof of Myanmar residency, work and study or proof of a valid Myanmar visa.

5) The original (to be returned) and a photocopy of your ID card(NRC) and Household Registration Paper (only for Myanmar passport holders who apply for Chinese visa for the first time).

6) A valid visa of the country of destination, and a final destination airline ticket.

Ⅲ.How to apply

1)You may submit the application to the Visa Office of the Consulate General which holds consular jurisdiction over the division/state where you reside;

2)If you cannot come personally, you may entrust someone else or a travel/visa agent to submit your application to the visa office of the Consulate General which holds consular jurisdiction over the division/state where you reside;

► No appointment is required.

► Mailed applications are not acceptable and will be refused.

Ⅳ. Processing Time

► Regular Service: To Pick up on the Fourth Working Day.

► Express Service: To Pick up on the Third Working Day and an additional fee of $25 per person will be charged;

► Second Day Rush Service: To Pick up on the Second Day and an additional fee of $40 per person will be charged.

Ⅴ. Visa Fees and Payment

► Please pay in US Dollar cash.

►Fee list: 

Number of EntryValidityDuration of stayCitizens of MyanmarCitizens of other countries
Single90 days3-7 days$30$40
Double90 days 3-7 days$45$60

* Visa fees for US passport holders are $140 for single or double entry.

Ⅵ. Additional Information

1) Please note that you must answer EVERY question on the application form If the answer to a question is “none”, please write “none”(Do not leave it blank).If the visa application form is not filled out completely, correctly and legibly, your visa application may be delayed or rejected.   

2)  The application with any fake invitation letter or other fraud will be rejected.

3) In accordance with the specific application, the consular officer decides to issue visas with different validity, number of entries and duration of stay in China.

4) If necessary, the consular officer will ask the applicant to submit the original invitation letter, or to provide some supporting and supplementary documents, or schedule an interview. 


The Chinese government is currently part of a trial that is allowing citizens to travel for a maximum duration of 30 days without needing a visa. This means that anybody can go to China, even if they are not a resident or citizen. The trial will take place in Shenzhen, Guangzhou, and Shanghai until July 31st at the latest. If the program is successful (and it will be), then it will no doubt be expanded over time. By then you can expect that will probably have its name changed as well.

Leave a Comment