If you’re considering an application for a business visa for Japan, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, I’ll not only give you the information you need to go through the process smoothly and successfully, but also point out important details that some people tend to ignore.
A guide to assist in the application process for a business visa for those who are applying for the first time or renewing their business visa. This is not a legal document and should not be accepted as one. If you have any questions after reviewing the information, please do not hesitate to contact us.
How to Apply for a Japan Business Visa?
You have to apply for a Japan Business Visa at one of the diplomatic missions of Japan abroad, such as an Embassy or a Consulate. However, the diplomatic mission offices of some countries do not accept individual applications and you may have to apply through an accredited travel agency.
- Contact the Embassy/Consulate/travel agency to book an appointment.
- Collect the required documents for a Japan Business Visa (see below). The inviting company in Japan will have to send you several documents as well.
- Submit the documents at the Japanese consular services or the travel agency.
- Wait for the visa to be processed.
- Collect your passport Embassy/Consulate/travel agency. If the application has been approved, your visa will be affixed and you can use it to travel to Japan within three months.
Getting the Landing Permit
Once you arrive in Japan, the Immigration officers at the point of entry will review your Japan Business Visa and the supporting documents, and they will affix a Landing Permit on your passport.
Once you get the Landing Permit, the Business Visa will become invalid. It is the Landing Permit that allows you to legally enter and stay in Japan for the duration it is issued.
How Long Does it Take to Process a Japan Business Visa?
The application process for a Japan Business Visa is about 5 working days starting from the day the Japanese representative office receives your completed application. However, if they have to send your application for further examination in Japan or they ask you to submit additional documents, it will take longer.
So, you should apply well in advance of your planned trip.
How Long is the Japan Business Visa Valid?
A Japan Business Visa is a type of short-stay visa, which means it is valid for a maximum of 90 days. It is a single-entry visa and allows the holder to stay in Japan for up to 15 days.
However, citizens of certain countries may be able to get a multiple-entry visa for business purposes.
Who Can get a Japan Multiple-Entry Japan Business Visa?
According to the Japan Ministry of Foreign Affairs, you are eligible for a Multiple-Entry Japan Business Visa if you are from:
- An Asia Pacific region
- A Latin American region
- From one of the New Independent States (ex-USSR)
However, the specific countries are not listed, so if you believe you are eligible you should contact one of the Japanese Consular Service offices.
In addition to the country of nationality, to qualify for a Japanese Multiple-Entry Business Visa, you must also be in a managerial position (or higher) or have worked for at least one year 1 year in:
- A government enterprise
- A company listed on the stock exchange market
- A company which has continual transactions with Japanese companies listed on the stock exchange in Japan