Canadian Work Permit In Usa

If you are planning on getting a Canadian work permit it is important to realize that they are not all the same. You should have a clear understanding of the Canadian work permit process before you decide to make a move. You may even be looking for your first Canadian work permit for yourself. If so, this blog is for you. It will explain the process and what you need to do in order to get your work permit.

It’s important to be careful when looking for a job in the United States. Even if you’re legally allowed to work in the U.S., you don’t want to be deported. It becomes even more crucial to have a job in the U.S. when you are applying for residency. It is important to have a job in the U.S. in order to get a better career trajectory. There are many ways to get a job in the U.S. but one of the most popular is to work for a Canadian company. But what if you can’t find a job outside of Canada? Well, this blog will discuss a few ways that might work for you. We will base our discussion today on – Canadian Work Permit In Usa. But, other resources which you can find on our website include some frequently asked questions such as: can canadian citizen work in usa and how hard is it to get a job in the u s as a canadian

Canadian Work Permit In Usa

The job market in the US is booming. Thousands of companies are constantly looking to fill positions, while also needing entry-level and experienced workers with particular skill sets.

How to Apply

There are several steps to apply for a visa. The order of these steps and how you complete them may vary by U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Please consult the instructions on the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website.

Complete the Online Visa Application

  • Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 – Learn more about completing the DS-160. You must: 1) complete the online visa application and 2) print the application form confirmation page to bring to your interview
  • Photo –You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. Your photo must be in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements. (A photo is not required if you are applying in Mexico.)

Schedule an Interview

Interviews are generally required for visa applicants with certain limited exceptions below. Consular officers may require an interview of any visa applicant.

If you are age:Then an interview is:
13 and younger
Generally not required
Required (some exceptions for renewals)
80 and older
Generally not required

You should schedule an appointment for your visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you live. You may schedule your interview at another U.S. Embassy or Consulate, but be aware that it may be more difficult to qualify for a visa outside of the country where you live. 

Wait times for interview appointments vary by location, season, and visa category, so you should apply for your visa early. Review the interview wait time for the location where you will apply.

Appointment Wait Time

Check the estimated wait time for a nonimmigrant visa interview appointment at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Gather Required Documentation

Gather and prepare the following required documents before your visa interview:

  • Passport valid for travel to the United States – Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States (unless exempt by country-specific agreements). Each individual who needs a visa must submit a separate application, including any family members listed in your passport.
  • Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page
  • Application fee payment receipt, if you are required to pay before your interview
  • Photo – You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. If the photo upload fails, you must bring one printed photo in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements. (A photo is not required if you are applying in Mexico.) 
  • A contract or letter of employment in the United States – To show that you have a job offer, provide a contract or employment letter from your employer in the United States confirming your upcoming employment in one of the professional occupations listed in Appendix 1306.d.1 of NAFTA Chapter 16. The letter should also include:
    • Your purpose of entry;
    • A detailed description of your anticipated business activities or job responsibilities;
    • Your anticipated length of stay in the United States;
    • Your educational qualifications or appropriate credentials demonstrating professional status;
    • Evidence of your compliance with Department of Homeland Security (DHS) regulations and/or state laws; and
    • Arrangements for your pay.
  • Documentation proving that you meet the minimum education and/or work experience requirements set forth in Appendix 1603.d.1 of NAFTA chapter 16 – Evidence of education would include degrees, diplomas, certificates, professional licenses, and /or membership in professional organizations. To demonstrate your experience, present letters from former employers. If you were self-employed, provide your business records.

Can a Canadian Citizen Work in the US?



Work in the US

Canadian citizens are allowed to work in the United States just like any other foreign national. However, before they can legally work in the United States or take a job, they are required to obtain a United States work visa. Almost everyone who wants to work in the United States needs to apply for a work visa, but Canadians do have several advantages that other foreign nationals don’t.

There is no one work visa for Canadian citizens – in fact there are several different types. For Canadians working in the US, there are specific US visas for Canadian citizens. In addition, there are visas that are specifically for Canadian citizens, such as the TN Visa.

However, the United States work visa you eventually choose does not have as much to do with your country of citizenship as it does with your personal situation and work experience.

Which United States Work Visa Should I Apply For?

Speaking with a licensed immigration lawyer is the best way to determine which type of United States work visa you should apply for. For example, Canadian citizens who work in a certain type of professional occupation and who have a valid job offer with a United States employer could apply for a TN visa, which is only for Canadian citizens or citizens of Mexico under the North American Free Trade Agreement.

US Work Visas for Canadians

TN Visas

If you are Canadian and you have a job offer in the US, you may be eligible for a TN Visa under the NAFTA agreement. This application process is the fastest way to get a US Work Visa. Learn more about how to get a TN visa. 

H-1B Visa

If you are a Canadian with a US job offer you may be eligible for an H-1B visa. There are many benefits of the H-1B visa for Canadians working in the US. Learn more about how to get an H-1B visa.

L-1 Visas

On the other hand, Canadian workers who are employed by Canadian companies but who are being transferred to United States offices could be best suited for an L-1 visa. Learn more about how to get a L-1 visa. 

E-2 Visas

E-2 visas are for owners and investors in businesses in the United States. The E-2 is a temporary U.S. work visa that may be granted for “substantial” investments in the U.S. An investment must meet several criteria in order to qualify for an E-2 visa. Learn more about how to get an E-2 visa.

Other US Work Visas

There are visas for people who work in different specialty occupations or who have different skills, such as an O-1 visa, while there are also visas available for people buying businesses in the United States or investing in the United States.

Each of these visas has their own specific requirements for applicants. It is vital that you understand which of these visas is the one for you, and which one suits your needs. In addition, it is important that you meet the requirements that the visa has. Get it right the first time! Call our immigration law firm for help.

Do You Want To Work in the US in 2022?

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals and consultants who work for VisaPlace Legal an award winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-888-317-5770.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs?

Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.

The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.


As one of the world’s most dynamic countries, Australia has an immense requirement for skilled talent. Make the most of this opportunity by applying for an Australian Work Visa. Having years of experience in Australian immigration processes, Y-Axis is the perfect consultant to launch your career in Australia.

  • Stable economy growing at 2.5% every year on average
  • Job opportunities in multiple sectors
  • High minimum wage & great savings opportunity
  • Exceptional social benefits like free healthcare
  • Beautiful cities with vibrant multicultural life

When you work in Australia, you will enjoy basic rights and the same workplace protection rule as other local employees. All of this makes Australia an attractive destination to make a career.


The Australian government devised the General Skilled Migration program (Skillselect) in 2013 to replace the Australia skilled worker visas.

The Skillselect is designed to assess the skills of applicants under a point-based system so that immigrants with the right skills can be selected. The applicants are given points under the following criteria:

Age: Those between the ages of 25 and 32 score the most points while those above 45 do not gain any points.

English language proficiency: Applicants are required to take the IELTS test.  If they score 8 bands or more, you get 20 points.

Skilled employment: If you have experience in an occupation that is listed in the Skilled Occupations List you will get points based on the years of experience. 20 is the maximum points you can gain.

Educational qualification: To get points under this category, your qualification must be related to your nominated occupation. 20 points is the maximum you can score if you have a doctorate while a bachelor’s or master’s degree will give you 15 points.

Australian qualifications: You can get five points if you have an Australian qualification from an Australian educational institute.

Regional study: You can gain an additional 5 points if you have lived and studied in regional Australia.

Community language skills: You will gain another 5 points if you have translator/ interpreter level skills in one of the country’s communities languages.

Spouse/partner skills and qualifications: If you have included your spouse/partner in the application and he/she is not an Australian resident/citizen, then their skills are eligible to be counted towards your total points. You will gain an additional five points if your spouse/partner must meet the basic requirements of the Australian General Skilled Migration

Professional year: You will stand to gain another 5 points if you have completed a Professional Year in Australia for a period of at least 12 months in the last four years from either ACS/CPA/CAANZ/IPA/Engineers Australia.  You must score a minimum of 65 points to qualify for a visa under the General Skilled Migrant Program

Skilled Independent Visa: You can be eligible for this visa if you have the necessary skills and qualifications for specific occupations that are listed in the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). This visa does not require the sponsorship of an employer. You can use the SkillSelect tool to find out if your skills are in demand.

Employer Nomination Scheme: Under this scheme, a permanent work visa is given to workers sponsored by their companies.

TSS Visa (Temporary Skill Shortage): Under this visa, individuals can work between two to four years depending on the employee’s requirement. Applicants should have a minimum of two years’ work experience and should be below 45 years. Companies taking employees on this visa must pay them the market salary.

  • Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa – with this visa skilled workers nominated by their employer to live and work in the country permanently.
  • Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa – Under this visa, skilled workers nominated by their employer in regional Australia to live and work in the country permanently.
  • Skilled independent visa –This visa is for invited workers and New Zealand citizens with skills Australia needs to live and work permanently anywhere in Australia
  • Skilled Nominated visa –With this visa, nominated skilled workers can live and work in Australia as permanent residents.
  • Distinguished Talent visa- This is a permanent visa for individuals with a globally recognized record of exceptional achievement in a profession, sport, the arts, or academics and research.

1.TSS visa (Temporary Skill Shortage):  Individuals can work between two to four years under this visa, depending on the requirement of the employee. To obtain this visa, Australian businesses would have to show they are facing a shortage of local talent for the job. Applicants should have previous work experience of at least two years and should be under 45 years.

2.Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa –This is a temporary visa for skilled workers who want to live and work in regional Australia.

3.Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa – This visa is for short-term, highly-specialized work in the country.

4.Working holiday visa: This visa is available to people in the 18-30 age group to enable them to take up short-term jobs in Australia while on a holiday. The validity period is twelve months.

Skill assessment

Skill assessment is integral to the work visa application process. One must select an occupation which is listed in the Australia’s Occupational Demand List. This list will mention occupations that face a skill shortage in the country. Every occupation in the list has its own skill assessing authority. The ACS (Australian Computer Society) assesses occupations under IT and computers. Trade occupations are assessed by the TRA (Trade Recognition Australia) or the VETASSESS (Vocational Educational and Training Assessment Services).

If an applicant must move to the next stage of the visa application process, he must get a positive skill assessment.

To get their skill assessment done candidates must meet the required conditions outlined by the assessing authority which is evaluating their occupation. The candidate should have the related qualifications and experience to get a positive assessment.

The first requirement for a positive skill assessment is that your occupation must be related to your work experience. If there is a mismatch, then you will not get the required points.

Apart from this you must submit all the required documents. They must be authentic and complete and any small discrepancy in your documents can lead to a negative assessment. You will have to submit every additional detail requested by the assessing authority. The documents should support your qualifications and experience claims.

Factors considered by the assessing authority:

  • Occupation in which you nominated yourself
  • Your qualifications
  • Your work experiences
  • Relevance of your work to your occupation
  • Visa category under which you are applying

Apart from this, proof of undergoing a language assessment test such as IELTS or PTE is required by the skill assessment bodies.


Steps to apply for a work visa:

  • Determine the category of work visa you are eligible for
  • Ensure that you satisfy the requirements of the points-based assessment (Skillselect)
  • Make sure your employer completes an online nomination/sponsorship form before you can apply for the visa
  • Fill the online application form of the visa category
  • Submit the relevant information and supplementary documents along with your application.
  • Pay your application fee for processing your visa

Y-Axis has extensive experience with helping individuals secure an Australian Work Visa. The key documents necessary to apply for this visa include:

  • Evidence of English proficiency (IELTS/TOEFL)
  • Provide educational and employment documentation
  • Health insurance

Typically, the work visa takes 2-5 months to be processed. A Y-Axis Work Visa Expert will help you with the visa application processing and work with you to create a thorough and comprehensive visa application to increase your chances of success. Once your visa is processed you can travel to Australia for work.


The visa fees change from time to time. The cost of your visa is dependent on the date we receive your application. If there is a price increase between the date you lodge your application and the date the immigration department receives your application, you will need to pay the new application charge. You must ensure that you have the available funds to cover the surcharges.

Visa application charges are usually in Australian dollars (AUD) which must be paid with the visa application. However, in some cases, there are no visa application charges.

Visa CategoryType of applicantFee Effective from 1st July 22Current Visa fee
Subclass 189Main Applicant AUD 4240AUD 4115
Applicant above 18 yrsAUD 2160AUD 2055
Applicant below 18 yrsAUD 1060AUD 1030
Subclass 190Main ApplicantAUD 4240AUD 4115
Applicant above 18 yrs AUD 2120AUD 2060
Applicant below 18 yrsAUD 1060 AUD 1030
Subclass 491Main ApplicantAUD 4240AUD 4115
Applicant above 18 yrsAUD 2120AUD 2060
Applicant below 18 yrsAUD 1060AUD 1030

Leave a Comment