Do I Need Visa For Sweden With Uk Travel Document

A lot of people confuse Sweden and Switzerland. Both are European countries, but they are completely different. Soon I’ll tell why it’s important to know the difference between these two countries. Meanwhile, if you still want to understand why there is no visa for Sweden with uk passport – as well as how to renew your travel document, keep reading this article.

By Bryn Wallis. The debate about whether you need a visa for Sweden with a UK passport can be confusing, as the answer isn’t entirely straightforward. It all depends on what type of travel document you have and whether you’re planning on staying in the country for more than three months.

Sweden is a European country that is sharing its borders with Norway, Finland and Denmark. Sweden has numerous tourist attractions and if you have just landed here, then you must be very excited to explore the beauty of this country.

Do I Need Visa For Sweden With Uk Travel Document

Table of Contents

Visa to Sweden

The rules for travelling to, moving to, working or studying in Sweden changed for British citizens on 1 January 2021.

For general travel requirements to Sweden, see this page.

Travel to Sweden from 1 January 2021

From 1 January 2021, British citizens are able to travel to Sweden and other Schengen area countries for up to 90 days in a rolling 180-day period without a visa for purposes such as tourism. More information on The Swedish Migration Board’s website here.

Schengen visas for UK citizens to go to Sweden

If you hold a UK Travel Document, you will need a Schengen visa to travel to Sweden. The Embassy in London does not process applications for Schengen visas. All applications should instead be submitted at VFS Global.

List of countries whose citizens need a visa for entry into Sweden here

Visit VFS Global for information about different types of visa and the documents you will need to submit together with your application.

All applications for a Schengen visa (less than 90 days) to Sweden are processed and decided by the Swedish Migration Agency in Sweden. Applications are decided on within 15 calendar days, which is in accordance with Article 23.1 of the visa code.

We strongly recommends applicants to lodge applications six months before the start of the intended visit.  

  • Please note that The Swedish Migration Agency does not recognise ordinary passports issued by Somalia and Somaliland. However, diplomatic passports issued by Somalia are recognised.
  • Please note that visa applications for Sweden from Ireland are currently handled by the Danish Embassy in Dublin.

Residence permits for visiting Sweden

You can apply for a residence permit for visiting Sweden at the Swedish Embassy in London.

Before you apply, you must:

  1. Prepare the required documents, more information here.
  2. Book an appointment by sending an email to the Visa Section at the Embassy. Find the visa section’s opening hours and email address here.
  3. Note that the fees for residence permits submitted at the embassy must be paid at the time of application. Please note that all fees at the Embassy are paid in British pounds, preferably by card payment (American Express is not accepted).

Biometric appointments

If you need to submit biometrics for your residence and work permit you can visit the Embassy during the visa section’s opening hours. You do not need to book an appointment. Please bring your valid passport with you (as proof of ID).

Who needs a visa to travel to Sweden from the UK?

UK citizens who hold a full UK passport can travel to Sweden visa-free. On the other hand, many non-EU nationals who reside in the UK are still required to get a Schengen visa to travel to Sweden.

In recent years, following visa liberalization policies for non-EU countries, the number of countries whose nationals require visas to travel to Europe has slightly dropped. Here is the list of nationalities that are still required to get a Schengen Visa to visit Sweden and other Schengen states.

Below you can find more information about the requirements and guidelines on how to apply for a Sweden visa from the UK.

Who can apply for a Sweden Visa from within the UK?

Citizens of these countries  residing in the UK and planning to visit Sweden are required to get a Swedish visa in order to be able to enter Sweden. The main requirement is that you must have a UK residence permit valid for at least another three more months beyond the date you plan to leave Sweden / the Schengen Area.

Use the Schengen visa eligibility checker tool to find out if you qualify to apply for a visa to Sweden from the UK.

If you have a 3 month UK visa you can extend it for three more months in order to be eligible to apply for a Swedish Schengen visa from within the UK. You must apply for an extension before your visa expires and while you’re still in the UK. Find out more on how to extend your UK visa.

You should apply for a visa via the appropriate Swedish Embassy/Consulate or Swedish visa application center in the UK if:

  • Sweden is the only Schengen country you plan on visiting
  • Sweden is your main destination (the country you will be staying the longest in)
  • Sweden is the first Schengen country you are visiting, since you will be spending equal amount of days in each Schengen country you plan visiting

In case you plan on staying in Sweden for more than 90 days you must apply for a Sweden residency permit, not a Sweden Schengen visa.

Please, note that if you are not a resident in the United Kingdom you should apply at the Swedish Embassy/Consulate/VAC in your country of residence.

Sweden Visa application documents and requirements for UK residents

The following list of documents are required in order to obtain a Sweden visa in the UK:

  • A valid passport or Travel document. Please make sure:
    • Your passport has been issued within the previous 10 years,
    • Your passport has 2 full blank pages, one for the visa stamp and an additional spare page,
    • Your passport will be valid for at least three (3) months after the date you exit the Schengen Area.
  • A valid UK residence permit or other form of Identity Card:
    • The UK residence permit must be endorsed in the actual passport (or on a new biometric ID card).
    • The UK residence permit must be valid for at least another three more months beyond the date you plan to leave France.
  • One Swedish Schengen visa application form. Filled out completely and signed by the applicant.
  • One photo, which must be glued on the application form. Applications with stapled photographs will be rejected.
  • Biometric data (This requirement only applies if you haven’t provided biometric data within the last 59 months):
    • Fingerprints (Note: Children under the age of 12 are exempted from providing fingerprints)
    • Copy of the passport bio page where the photo is included.
  • A cover letter explaining the purpose of the visit to Sweden.
  • Proof of travel arrangements: Round trip flight/travel reservations or other proof of intended transport and complete itinerary of your visit to Sweden (if several Schengen States will be visited or if the trip covers several Schengen States and non-Schengen countries).
  • Schengen Travel Insurance. Stating that you are covered in case of a medical emergency and repatriation not just in Sweden but in the whole Schengen zone (minimum coverage of € 30.000).
    • Holders of diplomatic passports and family members of EU/EEA citizens are exempted from providing proof of travel medical insurance

Note: Cash is not considered  proof of financial subsistence.

Note: Photocopies of the original documents should also be submitted and documents should not be more than one month old.

The documents listed above are documents required in all cases, regardless of the purpose of your visit in Sweden. Depending on your employment status, here is a list of additional documents that are required for your visa application:

For the UK employees:

  • Employment contract
  • Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
  • Leave permission from the employer
  • Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary

For the self-employed:

  • A copy of your business license
  • Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
  • Income Tax Return (ITR)

For foreign students in the UK:

For retirees:

  • Pension statement of the latest 6 months

If unemployed and married to an EU citizen:

  • A recent (less than 3 months old) Confirmation of Employment letter from their spouse’s employer stating the position held within the company as well as the starting date,
  • Spouse’s valid passport
  • An officially translated marriage certificate. The translation must be in English or Swedish and must be certified as a true copy by the Embassy of the country where the marriage took place or by the Legalization Bureau of the Foreign Office in UK

Requirements for children under the age of 18

Parents or a an adult guardian are required to accompany their under-age children at the application center at the Embassy of Sweden in London. Also, minors who are granted a Sweden visa are not allowed to travel to Sweden by themselves. They should be accompanied by an adult during their stay in Sweden.

Required documents for visa application for underage children

  • Proof of parent’s regular income (work contract with specified monthly income or a bank statement or business license)
  • Notarized travel permission from parent (parental travel consent)
  • If one parent lives in another country – their notarized parental travel consent
  • A school attendance letter issued by the Head of School.
  • Family Appendix

All documents provided should be legalized and be in of the of the following languages:

  • English
  • Swedish

Leave a Comment