Gpa For Work Permit In Canada

Do you want to buy a second-hand car? Do you need a work permit for Canada?  The best car dealerships in Vancouver can be found here. We will tell you everything that you need to know about the process of buying a second-hand car, including getting an Ontario work permit. A Canadian work permit is one of the most popular migration paths decided by international students and graduates to settle in Canada permanently. Their selection of the skilled worker program may be based on a particular job offer, or an employer sponsoring them can be the pathway to Canada. The advantage of this approach to get a Canadian work permit is that you are positioned for permanent residence faster with a confirmed job offer from a business in Canada.

Gpa For Work Permit In Canada

If you are a foreign national that is seeking to work in Canada, you will need to apply for a work permit. Depending on the nature of your occupation, you may also need to be sure that the appropriate language skills are met through the presentation of an adequate level of academic credentials. If your application is approved, you will be able identify the level of academic credentialing required to successfully complete the application process.

How to Extend a Post-Graduate Work Permit in Canada?


Post Graduate Work Permit allows individuals who have studied in Canada to remain in the country and work after completing their program or degree. Interested applicants have 180 days after receiving their final grades to apply to the program. The eligible duration of the permit will depend on the length of the applicant’s program of study.

Can Post Graduate Work Permit Be Extended?

The Post Graduate Work Permit Canada is a one time permit that cannot be renewed; however, in certain specific cases, it is possible to receive an extension:

  • You were eligible for a longer Post Graduate Work Permit but did not receive the full-time period due to your passport expiring sooner. You can apply for a PGWP extension with your new passport for up to the term of your original eligibility.
  • If you are currently in the Express Entry application pool for permanent residency, you may qualify for a bridging open work permit. This bridging permit allows you to remain in Canada and work legally until receiving your application decision.

PGWP Requirements

Before you apply for the PGWP, interested candidates must ensure that they have a valid study permit or visitor visa; OR have submitted an application to change their permit from student to visitor or extend a student permit AND have not yet received a response.

Eligible candidates must then meet the following criteria for the PGWP:

  • Graduated from a study program at a designated public or private learning institution that was a minimum of 8 months and led to a recognized degree, diploma, or certificate
  • Maintained full-time student status throughout your study except for your final semester, which may be part-time

Candidates will not receive a PGWP if they:

  • Have previously received a PGWP
  • Studied English or French as a second language, pursued general interest studies or self-improvement courses
  • Participated in some Global Affairs Canada funded programs, received certain scholarships or participated in specific exchange programs
  • Completed the majority of their program through distance learning
  • Studied at a non-Canadian institution located in Canada

What GPA Do I Need for A Post Graduate Work Permit in Canada?

Unlike a student work permit in Canada, which requires a minimum GPA of 2.0, there is no minimum GPA requirement for the PGWP.

Duration of Work Permit After Study in Canada

The eligible term of a Post Graduate Work Permit Canada will depend on the study program’s length. A program lasting a minimum of 8 months may enable an applicant to receive a Post Graduate Work Permit of less than 1-year, while a 2-year degree program may qualify for a work permit of up to 3 years.

COVID-19 Exceptions to PGWP

Due to the ongoing global pandemic, the PGWP program has been updated. Students may now be eligible for a Post Graduate Work Permit if:

  • You completed some or all your studies at a designated institution through distance learning either in Canada OR outside Canada
  • If you continued to study outside of Canada, you must be eligible for all other PGWP conditions
  • You had to pause your 2020 winter, spring, or summer semesters due to COVID-19

As of January 27, 2021, if your PGWP has expired or will expire soon, you could qualifiy for an open work permit of up to 18 months.

Elaar Immigration has helped many students live, study and work in Canada. Whether you are currently in a Canadian study program and are looking for permanent residency options or outside of Canada looking to immigrate, our dedicated immigration consultants can help you find your ideal pathway.

Can I stay in Canada to work after I graduate?

After graduation, a lot of students want to get some work experience and Canada and ask whether they can find a job and stay for some time. The Canadian Government allows this if the student who just graduated is eligible and approved for a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) in Canada.

The PGWP allows the graduated student to stay in Canada and work for a Canadian company depending on the duration of their studies and their eligibility.

What are the requirements for the Post Graduate Work Permit in Canada?

The PGWP will essentially give you temporary residence in Canada and therefore has many requirements. To be eligible for the PGWP, you must fulfill the following requirements:

  • You must be at least 18 years old;
  • You must have studied in Canada as a full-time student for at least 8 months;
  • You must have proof that you have completed your study program;
  • You must have graduated from one of the following institution:
    • Public college or university in any Canadian province or a vocational education program from Quebec;
    • Private college or university which abides to the same rules as a public university or college in Quebec;
    • Private secondary or post-secondary school in Quebec which offers programs of 900 hours or longer and leads to a professional diploma;
    • Canadian private school which can award degrees such as a Bachelors, Masters, or PhD;
  • You must apply for a work permit within 90 days of your graduation;
  • You must have a valid study permit at the time of your application for the work permit.

However, there are also some special cases which can make you qualify for a PGWP even if you do not fulfill the requirements above:

  • You were enrolled in an accelerated program which was supposed to last for 8 months, but you finished it in 6 months;
  • You transferred from one DLI to another and the combined length of your studies in the two institutions was more than 8 months;
  • You transferred from an institution that was not a DLI to one that is a DLI and studied for 8 months or more in the DLI (the time you spent at the school that was not a DLI does not qualify you for a PGWP);
  • You studied part time during your last semester due to a lighter course load;
  • You are a flight instructor who:
    • Has completed a course for flight training at a Canadian training center and now you have a Canadian commercial pilot license, or
    • You are in the process of getting the instructor rating and a job offer in the position of a flight instructor from a flight training center ;
  • If you are graduating from a Quebec vocational or professional training program you must fulfill these criteria:
    • You must have graduated from a public or private secondary school or from a private post-secondary school;
    • Your diploma must be a Diploma in Vocational Studies (DEP), Attestation of Vocational Specialization (ASP), Diploma in College Studies (DEC), or Attestation of College Studies (AEC);
    • Your program must have been full time for 8 months or more.

You must fulfill these requirements to be eligible for the PGWP or you cannot stay in Canada after you graduate and must return to your home country 90 days after graduation.

You cannot get a PGWP if you are in one of these situations:

  • You have been in a study program that is less than 8 months long;
  • You have studied for more than 8 months but the time has not been continuous;
  • You were part of the Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program which is funded by the Global Affairs Canada (GAC);
  • You were part of the Government of Canada Awards Program funded by the GAC;
  • You had funding from the GAC;
  • You had an Equal Opportunity Scholarship of Canada – Chile;
  • You were part of the Canada – China Scholars Exchanges Program;
  • You were part of the Organization of American States Fellowships Program;
  • You completed your study program as a distance learning student from abroad or from within Canada;
  • You have already had a PGWP.

How to apply for the PGWP?

The application procedure for the Post Graduation Work Permit is not very complicated and can be completed either online using your Government of Canada login (GCKey or bank details) or in person by submitting a paper application.

Since the processing time for online applications is shorter than paper applications, we recommend trying to apply online if you are eligible. To start application, go to the Government of Canada website and fill out the following forms:

  • IMM 5710 – Application to Change Condition, Extend my Stay, or Remain in Canada as a Worker;
  • IMM 5409 – Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (if you have a common-law partner);
  • IMM 5476 – Use of Representative (if you are giving permission to someone to apply for you);
  • IMM 5475 – Authority to release personal information to a designated individual

Leave a Comment