Graduate Visa For Dependents

  If you are a dependant of a job seeker listing their employer as a sponsor, you may be eligible for a graduate visa. If your parent is a student, and therefore the dependant of an overseas education institution, you can study without financial contribution for up to one year on a Post-Study Work Visa.A US Graduate visa allows foreign students to remain in the US after finishing their post-graduate studies. This Graduate visa also allows the dependent family of a student to study in America under his/her visa while they are completing a course of study.

Graduate Visa For Dependents

In some countries applications for a graduate visa can only be made from outside of the UK. This is because of visa regulations. However, dependents of people who have been granted a student or Tier 4 visa are still eligible to apply for a graduate visa despite not having previously held one of these visas.What is a Graduate Visa?A Graduate Visa allows you to live and undertake a full-time study in Australia for up to four years. After three years, you may be eligible to apply for citizenship. This type of visa allows you to work full-time to support yourself during your course and still continue with your studies. Studying English on student visa helps you qualify for full-time work on this visa. However, if your course is below degree level, like a diploma or certificate level than the options are limited.

Your partner and children

If your partner and children joined you in the UK as ‘dependants’ on your current Student visa or Tier 4 (General) student visa, they can apply to stay as dependants as on your Graduate visa.

If your child was born in the UK during your current Student or Tier 4 (General) student visa, they can also apply.

If their application is successful, their visa will end on the same date as yours.

Your relationship

A dependant partner or child is any of the following:

  • your husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried partner
  • your child under 18 – including if they were born in the UK during your stay
  • your child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as your dependant

Your partner

Your partner needs to have been a dependant on your Student visa or Tier 4 (General) student visa to apply. You’ll also need to show that they’re still your partner.

You must be able to prove that either:

  • you’re in a civil partnership or marriage that’s recognised in the UK
  • you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply

If your child is under 18

Your child usually needs to have been a dependant on your Student visa or Tier 4 (General) student visa to apply.

They do not need to have been a dependant if both of the following apply:

  • they were born while you were in the UK on your current Student visa or Tier 4 (General) student visa
  • they were born in the UK

You’ll need to provide proof that they’re your child – for example, a UK birth certificate or a special guardianship order from a court.

New dependants may be able to join you from outside the UK if you switch to a different visa, for example a Skilled Worker visa.

If your child is 18 or over

They must:

  • have been a dependant on your Student visa or Tier 4 (General) student visa
  • live with you (unless they’re in full-time education at boarding school, college or university)
  • not be married, in a civil partnership or have any children
  • be financially supported by you

If your child lives with you, you’ll need to provide evidence of their address such as:

  • a bank statement
  • credit card bills
  • driving licence
  • NHS registration document
  • an official letter from their university or college


Your partner and children must either:

Each family member will need to complete a separate application and pay the visa fee.

They’ll need:

  • a valid passport or other document that shows their identity and nationality
  • their biometric residence permit (BRP), if they were given one when they applied to be a dependant on your Student visa or Tier 4 (General) student visa

They’ll also need your application number – you’ll get this when you apply. This number is called a Unique Application Number (UAN). You’ll find it on emails and letters from the Home Office about your application.

If your scholarship or sponsorship provider paid your partner or child’s living costs in the last 12 months, your partner or child will need a letter from the provider approving their Graduate visa application.

Proving their identity

As part of their application, your partner and children will need to prove their identity.

If they’re from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, they would usually do this by scanning their passport with the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app.

If they’re not from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, they would usually do this by scanning their biometric residence permit (BRP).

They’ll need to sign into an existing UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account, or create a new one.

If they cannot scan their passport or BRP with the app, they’ll be asked to get their fingerprints and photograph taken at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point.

They’ll be told what they need to do when they apply.

If they do need an appointment, the centre may need to keep their passport and documents while they process their application.

They must not travel outside of the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man until they get a decision. Their application will be withdrawn if they do.

How long it takes to get a decision

Once they’ve applied online, proved their identity and provided their documents, they’ll usually get a decision within 8 weeks.

Children born in the UK

If you have a child while you’re in the UK, they do not automatically become a British citizen.

You must apply for your child’s dependant visa if you want to travel in and out of the UK with them.

You’ll need to provide a full UK birth certificate for each child, showing the names of both parents.

Leave a Comment