So, you want to go on holiday to Australia. Of course, you want to know how long your visa will last, but the question is: How long is a holiday visa to Australia? In this guide, I’ll give you the information you need to get a holiday visa for Australia.When it comes to planning a trip overseas, there are dozens of different components to making sure you will have the best time possible. This includes plane tickets, visa requirements, and accommodations. When it comes to the holiday visa for Australia for citizens of the United States of America, you will be able to enjoy a wonderful time with your friends and family without much hassle or extra steps needed on your behalf. You might think that because you aren’t living in Australia full time, you can’t enjoy this benefit. There is no need to worry about that because anyone traveling from American can go and live in Australia for up to one year without needing a visa if they are in their 90 days out of the country.
How Long Is Holiday Visa For Australia
When applying for an Australian travel visa, you will have to complete a Standard or Priority Application. The type of application you need to complete depends on several factors that are explained below on this page. The Standard application is usually completed when the applicant is capable of completing their travel and return during the period of their intended stay. In order to make the correct application, there are a few things you should know about Australian visas.
Australian 6 Month Tourist Visa Application
Should you plan on visiting Australia for an extended stay (longer than 90 days), you will be required to apply for a long stay Australian tourist visa.
After the standard tourist visa (ETA visa), which allows for stays of up to 3 months (90 days), there are other options available for stays of up to 6 months and stays of up to 12 months.
Australian Tourist visa for up to 6 months stay: What is permitted?
This visa permits you to stay in Australia (for the purpose of tourism) for up to 6 months at a time. (If you require longer periods of stay, you should choose the 12 month tourist visa option. If you plan to stay for 3 months or less, then the 3-month e-visa will be sufficient)
- Your 6 month tourist visa is valid for 12 months from the date it is issued.
- The visa allows for multiple visits, i.e. you will be permitted to leave and re-enter Australia as frequently as you like during this 12 month period.
- You may only stay for up to 6 months on each visit.
- You will not be able to re-enter after the anniversary of the date the visa was issued.
Requirements of a 6-month tourist visa
To be qualified to apply for a 6 month Australian visitor visa, you must agree with the following conditions:
- Your trip should be for tourism purposes – working is strictly prohibited!
- You must have the capacity to show proof of funds in your bank account that are sufficient to sustain you during the trip
- If somebody is providing accommodation we will require their details.
- You must not spend longer than 3 months studying while in Australia.*
* If you plan to study for longer than 4 weeks in Australia, you may be obliged to undergo a chest x-ray examination.
If you are over 75, you will be required to have medicals at an approved clinic
Note: If you have criminal convictions to declare, extra costs will be incurred.
Our Visa Application Support Service
Once we receive your online visa application, you will be allocated a named member of our team who will assist you through the process.
- Prepare a check list of suitable supporting information for your application
- Go though with you the detail and advise if anything requires amendment
- Prepare the presentation to Australian Immigration
- Advise on any queries that occur after the application is submitted
How long does it take to get a 6-month visa for Australia?
The typical processing for a 6-month tourist visa application is about 2 – 4 weeks from the time you supply all required supporting information (not from the date of the application).
If further Medical or Police Checks are required, then it will take longer. The exact time will depend on the exact pathway your application takes.
There will also be additional fees to pay if medicals or police checks are requested. These fees will be payable directly to the appropriate agencies.
If you are planning on travelling to Australia with a criminal record, the process is likely to take considerably longer, and it is likely that if you are granted a visa, it will be for a shorter stay than 6 months. If you do have criminal convictions, you need to follow the visa application process for individuals with criminal convictions
For further information of the travel visas options, read Australian Travel Visas