How Many Types Of Visa In Japan

Having a working visa in Japan has all sorts of benefits. It adds credibility, credibility that has the potential to reinforce your brand and build customer confidence. But if you are unfamiliar with the visa process in Japan, it can be difficult to know where to begin.There are various types of visa for Japan depending on the duration of stay and intended status of stay. Below is a list of available types of visa for Japan for foreign nationals:Ever wondered how to get a working holiday visa in Japan? Then read on. I’m going to walk you through the visa process, step by step. Visa is a long process so be warned!

People who hold a passport issued by one of the countries in blue are eligible to a visa-free entry of up to 90 days. People who hold a passport issued by one of the countries in green are eligible to a visa-free entry as well, but under specific conditions. All citizens of these countries and regions may enter Japan with a visa if they are traveling for business, transit, or to visit friends or family.

How Many Types Of Visa In Japan

Visa categories and requirements in Japan

If you would like to live in Japan, it is necessary to get a visa that is most appropriate for your intended activities in Japan.

There are about 30 types of visa in Japan and the requirements as well as the authorized activities are different for each of them.

It is therefore necessary to first determine one type of visa that will allow you to do what you would like to pursue in Japan, and for which you can satisfy the requirements of that particular visa.

It is not possible to get a visa to do the activities that are not listed in the following table. For example, you can’t get a working visa for a simple labour work such as construction worker or a waiter/waitress.Inn most cases, it is required to have a hosting organization (company, entity, or some kind of business related organization), or inviting person (commonly known as a “visa sponsor”) to be able to get a visa in Japan, such as a school in case of a student visa or an employer in case of a working visa.

There are also requirements to meet as to successfully obtain a Japanesevisa. So even if you find a Japanese employer, you will not be able to come to work in Japan if you don’t meet these requirements. These 27 Japanese visas can be divided into 3 main groups:

  1. Working visa: Those which allow you to work
  2. Non-working visa: Those which don’t allow you to work
  3. Family related visa: Those granted according to the family status

One person can get only one type of visa at a time, so if you are eligible for more than one (engineer visa and spouse visa for example), you will need to choose one visa type among your options, we can advise on the best type of visa for you. Now, let’s examine the definition of each type of visa and its requirements that will allow you to determine the type of visa that you qualify for.

Working visa

Working visas only cover the kind of work that requires high level of professional knowledge or skills. It is therefore not possible for foreigners to engage in manual / simple labour under a working visa, unless they have the visa granted according to the family status (spouse/child of Japanese national, long term resident, etc.), a trainee visa, or are part-time workers on student or dependent visas.

For example, there are no work visas for; hair-dressing, massage therapists, waiter/waitress, salesclerk, construction workers, etc.

The most typical working visas to work in private companies are the following 5 types.

Visa typeAuthorized activitiesRequirements
*Engineer / Specialist in Humanities / International ServicesEngineer: Working in the fields of physical science, engineering or other natural science.

Specialist in humanities: Working in legal, economic, social fields or in the human science.

International services: Working in translation, interpretation, language instruction, public relations, international trade, fashion design, interior design, product development.
Engineer:University degree in the corresponding field or 10 years of professional experience

Specialist in humanities: University degree or 10 years’ professional experience in the field

International services: 3 years’ professional experience in the field except for interpretation / translation or language instruction that only require a university degree.
*Intra-company TransfereeExpats of foreign companies or the subsidiary companies of Japanese firms located overseasMust have worked more than one year in the said office in overseas
*Skilled LaborForeign cooking, architecture or civil engineering characteristic to foreign countries, processing precious stones, metals or fur, training animals, piloting aircrafts, instructing sports, sommeliers…3-10 years’ professional experience (number of years depending on the type of work) in the corresponding fields (including the period of training)
*Business ManagerStarting or investing into a business in Japan, or managing business on behalf of other investorsPhysical, dedicated office space in Japan and 5 million yen investment into the business for new application. 10 million yen sales and 5 million yen expenses for renewal.

Introduced in May 2012, the Highly Skilled Professional visa is intended to attract workers who are likely to contribute to Japanese economy.

*Highly Skilled ProfessionalPoints are given according to the applicant’s educational level and professional background, income and academic achievement. If you accumulate 70 points or more in the point evaluation, a special visa status is given which includes the following preferential treatment:
Possibility of engaging in multiple activities that cover different visa categories5 year visa grantedFaster access to Permanent Resident visaPreferential processing of Immigration procedurePossibility to work on full-time basis for the spouse under certains conditionsPossibility of bringing your parents to Japan under certains conditionsPossibility of hiring a domestic helper under certains conditionsFor more detail, please refer to this page and the Immigration’s website.

The following are the types of working visas granted to those who have certain status, knowledge, or skills.

Diplomat / OfficialPersonnel of the Embassies and Consular Offices, Diplomatic Missions, Government personnel and their families. The application goes through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and not the Immigration bureau.
ProfessorResearch and education at University or equivalent educational institutions.
*InstructorInstruction of foreign languages or other education at elementary schools, junior high schools, high schools, etc.

*Instructors in the private language schools must apply for the “Specialist in Humanities / International Services” visa.
ArtistArtistic activities that generate sufficient income to support the artists life in Japan (painter, sculptor, photographer, writer, composer, songwriter, etc…)
Religious ActivitiesMissionaries sent from foreign religious organizations.
JournalistJournalists who signed the contracts with foreign media organizations, including freelance journalists.
*Legal / Accounting ServicesAttorneys, certified public accountants or other specialists with legal qualifications.
*Medical ServicesPhysicians, dentists or other medical specialists with Japanese qualifications.
*ResearcherResearch conducted under a contract with public or private organizations in Japan
*EntertainerTheatrical performances, musical performances, sports or any other show business.
*Specified Skilled WorkerLess skilled workers in 14 specified industry fields

Non-working visa

It is possible to work under a non-working visas, but only if you work below the limited hours per week (except for temporary visitor and trainee visa holders), and if you obtain permission from the immigration office.

*StudentsStudents enrolled in universities, vocational schools (senmon gakko), high schools, junior high schools, elementary schools or Japanese language schools.The visa application is submitted through the school and the time of application is limited.
*TraineeTraining to lean and acquire technology, skills or knowledge at public or private organizations in Japan.
This status is granted only if the candidate is to engage in a job requiring the technology, skills or knowledge obtained in Japan after returning to the home country.
*Technical InternshipInternship after training under trainee visa
*DependentSpouses or children of people staying in Japan under the work visa and non-working visa (except for temporary visitors and trainees).
Cultural ActivitiesCultural or artistic activities that provide no income.
Studies or researches of Japanese cultural or artistic activities.
University students on internship without remuneration.
Temporary VisitorTourism, vacation, sports, family visit, participation to seminars, conferences or reunions. It is possible also to have business meetings, sign contracts, engage in PR activities and conduct market research.

The following status of residence is granted case by case, and the possibility or not to work is determined for each case.

Designated ActivitiesActivities specifically designated for each case.
Housekeepers for diplomats, students on internship, working holiday, Long Stay for sightseeing and recreation

Leave a Comment