How Many Years Of Work Permit In Australia After Study

If you have plans to live or work in Australia for 2-4 years, and get qualified either by studying or working there, then you must use Tier 4 / Student Visa. How many years of work permit in Australia after study? You can stay or work up to 4 years.Do you want to migrate to Australia? But, have you no idea about How Many Years Of Work Permit In Australia After Study . If Yes, Our migration experts will help you in a very short time.

If you are considering studying in Australia, you will eventually need to apply for a Work Permit. Getting your Work Permit is a lengthy process and can be difficult if you’re not prepared. Learn more about the work permit process and how many years of work permit you can get.If you would like to study in Australia, then you will have to take a student visa. The first step is the student visa. To get this, you must find an institution or university that offers courses in Australia and enrol yourself in the courses. The courses must be full-time study in an Australian tertiary institution. You may start working while studying in Australia if you are willing to work part-time.

How Many Years Of Work Permit In Australia After Study

What is this new 485 post-study work stream visa?

It’s a great opportunity to stay back and work in Australia for a longer duration! This new post-study work stream visa, offered by the Australian Government enables you to study, live, and work in the designated regional areas of the country, for up to five years. This is a great update as now you can plan for your career in a better manner, having a wider range of areas accessible to study and work, besides a longer duration of post-study work visa validity. 

Who can apply?

As an international student, if you wish to work in Australia upon the completion of your studies for a longer duration (up to five years), then this is for you. Good news is that this visa allows you complete study and work rights, besides allowing the freedom to travel to and from Australia as long as it is valid. 

You should know

  • Your field of specialisation will not be a determining factor as this post-study work visa doesn’t have an occupations list. But ensure you are studying at the right levels
  • You should have a degree from a CRICOS-registered course
  • Skills assessment isn’t requisite to apply for this visa
  • You need to fulfil the English language proficiency requirements

As per the recent announcement, students going to study master’s by coursework are entitled to an additional year of PSW, similar to master’s by research:

(Coursework & Research)
Major Cities

Up to 2 Years2 Years3 Years4 Years
Cities and major regional centres

Gold Coast
Sunshine Coast,
Canberra Newcastle/Lake Macquarie
Up to 2 Years3 Years4 Years5 Years
Regional centres and other regional areas
All other locations
Up to 2 Years4 Years5 Years6 Years

The post-study work stream visa can open doors to an exciting career in Australia. This means, more options, more exposure, and yes, more employability.

Australia’s regional cities are a great place to study, work and live – offering a highly attractive combination of a world-class university education and a great lifestyle. While Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney are already popular, the equally important cities like Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Canberra now become more attractive to international students. This may be creating a sustainable balance and more opportunities for everyone and also that education and employment opportunities that are available across Australia are taken up by students rather than competing in a concentrated space. There are economic opportunities that are all around the country and the new policy will advantage the international students in many ways.

Unlike in some other English-speaking countries, there is no automatic right associated with your student visa to stay and work for a period of time in Australia after you complete your degree. When you receive your student visa, the government lets you in on a temporary basis of entry for study with the understanding that you will leave upon completion of course and before the visa will expire. Australia continues to have demand for foreign workers, and students that have earned a degree in Australia have a special work visa category. There are also several other visa categories open to international students, and Australia has a very straightforward path to permanent residency using a points system . If you want to stay and work after you graduate, you must apply and obtain a work visa.

Here are a few of the categories of visas that are available:

485 Skilled Graduate
Temporary Visa
This visa is the most common option available to international students after graduating. With a 485 visa, you are allowed to stay in Australia for 18 months to gain work experience only if you have just completed at least two years of study in Australia.402 Training and
Research Visa
Another option for international students, the 442 visa is for students to improve their work skills for up to two years while being sponsored by an employer.487 Regional
Sponsored Visa
This visa provides a pathway for permanent residency while allowing you to work for 3 years and work in a specialized regional area887 Skilled Regional
Residence Visa
The 887 visa awards you permanent residency and with this you can live and work in Australia permanently. You must have already lived in Australia for two years, have a year of work experience and have sufficient points.885 Skilled Independent
Residence Visa
The 885 visa allows you to live as a permanent resident and work without needing to be sponsored886 Skilled Sponsor
Resident Visa
The 886 visa allows an overseas student to apply for permanent residency and work while being sponsored by an employer.

As mentioned above, Australia uses a point system to see if someone qualifies for most visas. The point evaluations will be assessed along with your application. These are a few of the items that gain you points:

  • English ability or mastery
  • Occupation in demand
  • between 19 and 44 yrs of age
  • Work experience
  • Australian qualifications (length of study)
  • Sponsorship

To see if you have enough points to pass use the point calculator.

You should make an appointment with one of your university’s counselors to discuss your options before you graduate as rules and requirements change often.

Leave a Comment