How To Hold Family Visa In Dubai While Changing Job

Job changing may happen to anyone at one time or other, and it is a practice that you will want to amend to your life without the help of any specific visa but with the help of family visa in Dubai. Changing job is not as difficult as many think, but there are certain rules, policies and regulations which you will have to obey if you want your family visa in Dubai not to get cancelled.

If you are a resident in UAE, you might have had some job changes as well. It is required to provide the new employer’s job offer confirmation at Dubai immigration. But after getting your approval, changing job or sponsor would probably mean losing your family visa and losing your family life in Dubai. However, you can hold your family visa together with changing jobs and sponsors. Here’s how you can do it. We will base our discussion today on – How To Hold Family Visa In Dubai While Changing Job. But, other resources which you can find on our website include some frequently asked questions such as: dependant visa status when the sponsor is changing job and family visa cancellation required for job change in uae

Holding a family visa while working in Dubai can be a big challenge sometimes especially if you are changing your job. However, the Immigrant Visa section of the Visa fees page has indicated that there is no re-entry requirement for the visa holder hence you don’t need to leave UAE while changing your job since they have the right to work anywhere they want as long as they have jobs. This can be a big relief for holders of Dubai immigration visa because having to leave UAE and then get back will take lot of time and it will cost extra expenses on flights, hotels, taxis and more.

How To Hold Family Visa In Dubai While Changing Job

Looking after your family is a nice feeling, knowing you’ll never be alone in tough times. After getting your family visa in Dubai, how can you hold on to it while changing job or company?

There are many issues relating visas, work permits and residency in UAE. If you have just moved to the UAE maybe you have many doubts with respect to holding passports, family visa and its modalities, transfer of visa from one company to another company and visa cancellation among others.

Family visa is one of the visas provided or sponsored by the best employer companies in Dubai. Employers in Dubai sponsor family visa in different categories including fiancé & fiancée Visa (Iqama), families of Emirati nationals, and also for families joining their husbands for work. There are many other categories as per the policies set by the government.

Family visa for UAE has lots of stringent rules and regulations. There are certain factors, as per UAE law governing the entry and stay of family, that you are bound to meet while they are in the country. You not only need to submit the visa renewal application but also prove all your credentials.

Skilled Worker visa

Update your visa if you change job or employer

You’ll need to apply to update your Skilled Worker or Tier 2 (General) work visa if:

  • you want to change your job and your new job is with a different employer
  • your job changes to a different occupation code, and you’re not in a graduate training programme
  • you leave a job that’s on the shortage occupation list for a job that is not on the list

You do not need to apply again if you stay in the same job, but your job is taken off the shortage occupation list.

If you’ll be doing a different job for your current employer, you only need to apply to update your visa if your new job is in a different occupation code.

Your partner or children will need to apply separately to update their visa. They can either apply at the same time as you, or at any time before their current visa expires.


Check how much it costs for your type of visa.

You’ll also need to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken. There’s no fee for this.

Eligibility and documents you’ll need to apply

Your new job must meet the eligibility requirements and you’ll need a new certificate of sponsorship to prove this.

You’ll only need to provide other evidence again if you’ve been in the UK for less than one year.

If you’re applying to add a second job to your current visa

You must apply to update your visa if you take on a second job that is either:

  • more than 20 paid hours a week in addition to the job you’re being sponsored for
  • in a different occupation code

Your second job must meet the eligibility requirements and you’ll need a new certificate of sponsorship to prove this.

You’ll also need to include a letter with your application explaining that you want to change your current permission to stay.

Your letter must state:

  • your name
  • your date of birth
  • your current certificate of sponsorship reference number
  • the date when your current permission to stay runs out

If your application is successful, you’ll get a new visa giving you permission to do both jobs.

You do not need to apply to update your visa if you’re taking on additional work in the same occupation code or you’ll be doing less than 20 paid hours a week.

When to apply to update your visa

You can apply to update your visa up to 3 months before the start date of your new job.

You can continue working in your current job while your new application is being considered, or to work out your notice period – as long as you apply before your current visa expires.

You should not start your new job until you’ve got confirmation of your new permission.

You must not travel outside of the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man until you get a decision. Your application will be withdrawn if you do.

Proving your identity and providing supporting documents

As part of your application you’ll need to prove your identity. How you do this depends on where you’re from and the type of passport you have.

You’ll either:

  • give your fingerprints and a photograph (biometric information) at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point – this is to get a biometric residence permit
  • use the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app to scan your identity document – you’ll also create or sign in to your UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account

You’ll be told what you need to do when you apply. You’ll also be told how to provide your supporting documents if you need to.

Apply to update your visa

You must apply online.

Once you’ve started your application, you can save your form and complete it later.

Continue your application

Sign in to your account using the link from your sign-up email.

How long it takes to get a decision

You’ll usually get a decision within 8 weeks of your application date.

It’s currently taking 11 weeks on average to get a decision on Skilled Worker visas.

You’ll be contacted if your application will take longer, for example because:

  • your supporting documents need to be verified
  • you need to attend an interview
  • of your personal circumstances, for example if you have a criminal conviction

You may be able to pay to get a faster decision – you’ll be told if you can when you apply.

After you apply

If you need to change something in your application after you’ve sent it contact UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

You can ask to cancel your application. You’ll only get your fee refunded if UKVI has not started processing your application.

You’ll get an email or a letter containing the decision on your application. This will explain what you need to do next.

Leave a Comment