Internship Visa For Singapore

A holder of study pass or vacation pass may apply for the Singapore Internship Visa. Previously known as the Work Holiday Programme, the visa makes it easy for foreign students to work in Singapore. In spite of its name, it is not a working holiday programme.

If you are a Singaporean and you want to work in Singapore after graduation, getting an internship visa is the first step. However, if you have never obtained an internship visa before or have no clue how to go about getting one, you may be at a slight disadvantage. The fact of the matter is that to be eligible for an internship visa, you must obtain a certificate of sponsorship from your employer; and it seems like this process can be both tricky and confusing. We will base our discussion today on – AA. But, other resources which you can find on our website include some frequently asked questions such as: visa internship singapore 2022 and can foreigners do internship in singapore

For students who seeks internship in Singapore, you should choose internship visa as an option to work in Singapore.

Singapore is one of the most developed nation in Asia. Singapore providing safety and convenience to live, work and study for everyone in the world. Singapore even allows you to get a Singapore Visa (Work Permit ) for working as an intern in Singapore. Over 135 nationalities allowed you to work during your stay on Singapore. All applicants are eligible to apply if they fulfill all eligibility criteria laid by the government of Singapore. Worldwide students and graduates have to follow these guidelines given by Ministry of Manpower (MOM) via their website or email address –

An internship visa is a popular option for university students to gain valuable, real-world working experience. From Singapore to New Zealand, there are over 44 countries which offer working holiday and internship visas.

Internship Visa For Singapore

A scholarship program for eligible multinational students in the fields of engineering, science and information technology. The program offers training in global companies, grade-paid internships and a fast track admission to the country’s universities.

If you are a foreign national who wants to work as an intern or trainee, you will need what is often referred to as a Singapore internship visa. In fact, it is actually called a Training Employment Pass.

The Singapore Training Employment Pass allows foreign nationals to undertake practical training for a professional, managerial, executive or specialist position in a Singapore company.

However, you have to be able to fulfill certain conditions before you can qualify for this type of Singapore Pass. Like other Singapore work passes and permits, it is the Ministry of Manpower who is in charge of issuing the Training Employment Pass.

Who qualifies for the Training Employment Pass?

In order to qualify for the Training Employment Pass, you must be either:

  1. A student, currently studying in an acceptable educational institution*; or
  2. A trainee from a foreign office or subsidiary company who wants to undergo training in a Singapore company.

In addition, you must also fulfill the following requirements:

  • Your monthly salary must be at least S$3,000.
  • The company sponsoring you has to be a well-established and Singapore-registered company.
  • If you are a student: The training has to be part of your course of study.

*There is a list of acceptable educational institutions on the Ministry of Manpower’s website.

How Get a Singapore Internship Visa?

It is your employer in Singapore who has to apply for your Training Employment Pass. The process of obtaining a TEP is divided into three parts:

Applying for the Training Employment Pass

You do not have to be in Singapore for this part of the application. Your employer can apply for the Training Employment Pass online, but you will have to give them a Letter of Consent, stating that you agree to your employer submitting the application on your behalf. Then, your employer has to:

  • Sign into EP Online, MOM’s online application tool.
  • Attach all the required documents (see below) as well as the letter of consent.
  • Pay the Training Employment Pass application processing fee (S$105).
  • If your pass is approved: They must print the In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter, which they have to give to you. The letter serves as a pre-approved single-entry visa, allowing you to enter Singapore within six months.

The Training Employment Pass processing time is usually about three weeks. However, it may be extended if you are required to submit additional documents.

Required documents to apply for the Training Employment Pass

When your employer submits the application for your Training Employment Pass, they must also attach several documents, such as:

  • Photocopies of your passport’s personal details page.
  • Recent passport-size picture in line with Singapore photo requirements.
  • A comprehensive training program, which includes the following:
    • The training’s objective.
    • The type of training you’ll be undertaking.
    • How long the training will last and where it will take place.
  • Your educational certificates.
    • If you are from India, you will need the following additional documents: Transcripts and Marksheets.
    • If you have not finished your course: a letter from your school confirming you are enrolled in the educational institution and taking that particular class.
  • Letter from your school stating that this training is part of your course.
  • Verification for your educational certificates and documents. You can verify them via Dataflow or another global verification agency. In some cases, certification from a notary will not suffice.
    • If you are from China, you can get the verification from China Higher Education Student Information and Career Center or China Academic Degrees & Graduate Education Information.
  • Letter of Support/Registration from a Registration Agency, Professional Body, or Accreditation Agency.

Requesting for the Pass to be issued

After entering Singapore with the IPA letter, your employer can request to get your Pass issued. This process is also done online. Your employer has to:

  • Sign in to EP Online and make the request to issue the Pass.
  • Submit all the required documents (see below).
  • Pay the Pass fee (S$225). Depending on your particular case, there may be additional fees, such as a S$30 Multiple Journey Visa fee.
  • After the Pass is issued, print the notification letter, which:
    • Allows you to travel in and out of Singapore while you wait for your Pass Card.
    • Informs you whether you have to register your fingerprints and picture.

Documents to provide

In addition, the documents you will need when your employer requests to get the Pass issued are:

  • Your current Short Term Visit Pass/immigration pass information.
  • Proof of your accommodation in Singapore.
  • An address where the MOM can deliver your Pass Card.
  • Your Disembarkation/Embarkation card.
  • Proof you have completed your medical examination.

All the documents you submit have to be in English. If they are not, they must be translated to English by an official translator.

Registering your fingerprints and pictures

If your notification letter states that you have to register your picture and fingerprints, you must do it within two weeks of entering Singapore.

You have to make an appointment at the Employment Pass Services Centre (EPSC).

When you show up for your appointment, you must bring the following documents:

  • Your passport
  • The appointment letter
  • The notification letter
  • Any documents that were stated on your notification and IPA letters.

You should get your Training Employment Pass Card within four working days of registering and submitting your documents at EPSC.

Training Employment Pass Validity and Renewal

A Singapore Training Employment Pass is valid for a maximum of three months, and it cannot be renewed.

Your employer has to cancel your pass one day after it expires or within one week of you working your last day in the company.

If you are a student or trainee who either does not qualify for the TEP or would like to work in Singapore for longer, you may check if you are eligible for the Singapore Work Holiday Programme or the Training Work Permit.

Visa information for Singapore

Obtaining a visa is one of the most challenging and daunting aspects about going abroad. However, The Intern Group’s inclusive package enables every participant the access to our experienced visa specialists. We are here every step of the way towards a successful application, and make your visa process straightforward and stress-free.

General eligibility

  • You must be at least 18 and under 26 years old.
  • You must hold a passport with at least 12 months validity.
  • You must be an undergraduate or graduate of a recognized university in Australia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Switzerland, UK or USA. Exchange programs and online degrees are not eligible.
  • You must have completed at least 1 semester of undergraduate studies.

Visa rules

  • The procedure is to first secure an IPA (which is a 3 weeks online process), then request for a Pass issuance (which takes 1-2 days after arrival in Singapore). Starting the internship prior to a Pass issuance is not allowed.
  • Visas are subject to a limited quota and distributed on a first-come-first-served basis. **
  • Visa cost is estimated at SGD 175. The Intern Group’s program fee does not cover the government cost and other associated expenses regarding this visa application.
  • The visa is valid for 90 days and lasts for 6 months, upon Pass issuance.

** If the application pool is open but you are unsuccessful in obtaining your IPA prior to your program, The Intern Group allows you to credit all program fees received by us towards future experiences in our program (in Singapore or elsewhere, or a Virtual Internship). Otherwise, you may also request a full refund of your program fee. Other Terms & Conditions apply.

Visa type

  • Work Holiday Pass

Immigration regulations are constantly changing so please be advised that the above information may differ anytime.

Leave a Comment