Depending on the purpose, there are various kinds of visa offered for various categories of people in Dubai. One can avail any of the visas mentioned below based on his/her purpose of visit.
Whether you are traveling to the United Arab Emirates for purposes of work, family visit, medical, or education, you need to secure an appropriate visa. There are several types of UAE visas, though most foreigners apply for one of these four categories:
In this article, we will discuss visa application rules for some of the most popular visas that foreigners wish to apply for so they can visit or reside in the UAE. We hope that this article would shed some light on the best ways to get your visas approved without running into any problems with immigration authorities here.
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has a special type of visa for individuals who are engaged in medical research and specialized medical training. This is known as the Investors Visa. People who want to get this visa can be the resident of any nationality and do not have to be residents of the UAE.
Kinds Of Visa In Uae
Types of Visas in UAE
The different visa types that are applicable in UAE have been a little obscure due to incomplete and incorrect information on the internet. But if you research hard enough, you will find that there are basically six different UAE visa types issued by the government. Each of these visas has subtle differences in procedures but the basic difference lie in the purpose these visas are for. Therefore selecting a particular UAE visa type will strictly depend on your objective if visiting UAE.
Different Types of Visa in UAE
- 30-day Tourist Visa – As the name suggests, a tourist visa is one, which is issued to people visiting UAE for leisure purposes. This visa has a validity of 58 days from the date of its issue and grants to the holder an entry permit of 30 days to visit UAE. Essentially a tourist visa is required to be procured by an individual from a country that does not have a Visa on Arrival arrangement with UAE or does not fall in the category of Visa Free Entry.
- 90-Day Tourist Visa – A tourist visa may be issued for either 30 days or for a period of 90 days, depending on the plan of the tourist. You can choose between Single Entry Long Term Visa and Multiple Entry Long Term Visa for 90-days are available.
- Service / 14 Days visa – This visa is issued to those who wish to stay in UAE for up to 14 days and also has confirmed return tickets or tickets to some other destination on Emirates airlines. Such visa is issued to the following people and their family members who are with them: Company Representatives, Sales Managers, Account Auditors, Corporate Delegations or those who need to visit UAE for some Commercial purpose.
- Entry Permit for Patients and their Companions: – This permit is for foreign patients who need to visit Dubai for treatment. They must be sponsored by some medical facility or hospital. There are again two general varieties of medical permit; the first is a single entry permit with permission to stay for 90 days. The visa must be planned within 60 days from the issue of the permit. An extension on this permit can be sought. The second type of this permit is a multiple-entry permit with the same features as the single-entry. The only difference being the option to extend in a multiple-entry visa.
- E-Visa for Residents from GCC – GCC Residents and their companions are required to procure visas by applying online. This must be done before arriving in the UAE. They must ensure to have the sponsor traveling with them. This entry permit has a validity of 30 days and the permit holder has permission to stay in UAE for 30 days from the day they enter UAE. There is an option to extend this permit once for another 30 days. As far as the companions are concerned, the only difference is that the validity changes from 30 to 60, also the number of days of permission to stay, which also changes to 60 and the extension is also 60 days.
- Transit Visa – There are two different types in this visa; a 48-hour visa and a 96-hour visa. These have to be sponsored by airlines that are based in Dubai. This is a non-extendable visa.
- Student Visa – This visa is for aspiring students who wish to study in Colleges and Universities in the UAE. This visa is eligible for one year and renewal is required upon furnishing proof that the individual will be continuing education. A new student visa has been introduced recently in November 2018, which is applicable for five years,
Frequently Asked Questions
In order to enter UAE, is an entry permit or visa required?
Yes, a person needs either an entry permit or a visa to enter UAE. However, if you are a GCC citizen then you do not require a Visa. Another exception applies for citizens of countries with whom UAE has visa on arrival treaties.
Where to apply for visa or entry permits?
In order to apply for entry permits or visas, one must apply to the Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship through their website. You can also apply through the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA)
What are the different types of visas and entry permits?
There are essentially 6 broad types of visa and entry permits which include Tourist/Visit Visa, Medical Entry permit, E-Visa for GCC residents, Transit Visa, Student Visa, and Retirement Visa for Residents.
How does an entry permit differ from residence Visa?
Entry permit refers to permission by the government of UAE for specific purposes and time periods. Residence visa, on the other hand, is obtained by people of foreign nationality who have already been living in UAE on the basis of an entry permit to continue living for extended periods of time.
What is the duration of a Transit Visa?
A transit Visa in UAE is for two durations; 48 hours and 96 hours.
What is the time duration for procuring a visa?
If all the required documents and information have been duly furnished, then the visa is sent within four working days.
How is the visa sent to the applicant by the visa authority?
An individualâ??s visa is sent to the email id that the applicant provides in the visa application form.
Is it required to get Visa for children and Infants?
As per the UAE law all individuals whether adults, children and infants must have a visa.
What is the security deposit that has to be made?
The security deposit is a refundable amount which residents of certain countries have to pay. Once the resident has left UAE, the amount is refunded. The process takes about four working days after your departure from UAE.
Can I cancel my UAE Visa?
No, the UAE embassy does not cancel visas. Only the person who sponsors your visa has the authority to cancel it. Without cancelation of your previous visa, you cannot get a new UAE visa so you cannot visit UAE.