Residence Visa For New Born Baby In Uae

In many countries, it is required for non-citizens to obtain a visa for entry into the same. The requirements for acquiring this visa differ from country to country according to several factors including the purpose of the visa, duration of stay and several other related reasons. Every country has different regulations that govern the issuance of these visas so it is very important to find out what one requires before even considering traveling abroad. This article covers some general information on Residence Visa For New Born Baby In Uae

Before engaging in the procedure of residence visa for newborn baby in UAE, people must be aware of a few things. When you live in U.A.E., then you must know about the rules and regulations for visa. For those who are not residents, let me tell you that visa procedures are easy and simple. You can get the residence visa conveniently from any particular office or from any other country embassy in Abu Dhabi or Dubai. You just have to submit all the required documents with the valid admission letter from any accredited university and pay a fee then you can get your residence visa or its extension very easily.

Residence Visa For New Born Baby In Uae

The first step to take for newborn baby’s residency in U.A.E is the local company formation. For this the first thing you must know whether any company of your friend or relatives exist in U.A.E, because your child’s process will be faster if someone has local company here, because that person can include your child as a shareholder in his/her U.A.E business and then apply for his/her work permit (for babies less than 6 months old) or visit visa (child can be issued 2 month visit visa from the date of birth).

Mabrouk Ma Yak

What is Mabrouk Ma Yak?

Mabrouk Ma Yak is an integrated eService for newborn Emiratis. Under this eService, a newborn Emirati can get:

  • a birth certificate 
  • his/her name added in the family book
  • his/her passport
  • an Emirates Identity card
  • thiqa (insurance)
  • health card (optional).

In addition, his/her name will be registered in the population register.

Parents will have an option to apply for paternity and maternity leaves and child allowance to Federal Authority for Government Human Resources (applicable only for employees of the federal government).

Pre-requisites for the service

In order to get this service,

  • the father must apply for it within 3 months from the date of the baby’s birth
  • he must be a UAE National and his wife should be added to the family book
  • he must have a verified account on UAE Pass
  • the baby should have been born at one of the hospitals that provide the Mabrouk Ma Yak service and 
  • the following documents should have been submitted while opening a file in the hospital:
    • valid Emirates ID of both parents
    • family book
    • marriage certificate (only if the woman is delivering for the first time).

Service steps

Follow these steps to get the identification documents for a newborn Emirati:

  1. inform the hospital that you wish to avail the Mabrouk Ma Yak service
  2. you will receive an SMS confirming completion of the procedure. The SMS will include a link to complete your request online
  3. log in to the Mabrouk Ma Yak Service portal and fill in the newborn baby’s name and upload his/her photo
  4. apply for paternity and maternity leaves and child allowance (this is optional and applicable only to employees of the federal government)
  5. choose either ‘home delivery’ or ‘collect from service centre’ for receiving the document
  6. pay fees online
  7. you will receive an SMS after the documents are ready.


  1. if you had chosen ‘collect from service centre’, then please visit General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners’ Affairs along with the original family book.
  2. If you had chosen ‘home delivery’, then the documents will be delivered at the home address mentioned while submitting the application.

Entities participating in the service

The service is provided as a consequence of cooperation among Federal Authority for Identity, Citizenship, Customs & Port Security, Ministry of Health and Prevention, Ministry of Finance, Telecommunications and Digital Government Regulatory Authority, Dubai Health Authority, Emirates Post, Emirates Health Services, Federal Authority for Government Human Resources and other federal and local entities.

Useful links:

Marriage as a prerequisite

Under the UAE law, marriage is the only legal bond for a man and a woman to establish a relationship and form a family. The man and woman must be legally married to each other to get legal recognition for their child.

Useful links:

Pregnancy and maternity care

Read about pregnancy and maternity care in the health section.

Getting a birth certificate

After the baby is born, the hospital will provide a stamped and signed birth notification.

Government hospitals will issue birth certificate as a next step.

However, for babies born in private hospitals, parents will need to apply to Ministry of Health and Prevention or the health authority in their emirate of residence for a birth certificate by presenting the birth notification.

For getting a birth certificate for babies born outside the UAE, refer to the travelling abroad page.

You can check links below for related services.

Birth certificate and residence visa for newborn expatriates

Residents have a maximum period of 30 days to register their child’s birth in the UAE. If the parents are of different nationalities, the child will adopt the nationality of the father.

To process the birth certificates, a parent must submit the following identification papers to the hospital where the child is born, or to the relevant health authority in the emirate:

  • attested Arabic translated marriage certificate, if it is in a language other than Arabic
  • copy and original of husband’s and wife’s passport and residence visa
  • birth notification details from the hospital
  • discharge summary from the hospital.

All expatriates must get birth certificates attested by Ministry of Health and Prevention and Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation. Birth certificates stamped by Department of Health – Abu Dhabi (HAAD) or Dubai Health Authority (DHA) are equivalent to the seal of Ministry of Health and Prevention.

Residents have 120 days from the birth of their child to arrange the formal documents which includes birth certificates, passports, Emirates ID and visas of their new born babies. If the residence visa is not finalised within 120 days, then a fee of AED100 per day would be charged for each day over the 120-day period, and the baby will not be allowed to exit the country. Read details about how to sponsor a residency visa for your children in the UAE.

Related links

Updating family book (UAE nationals)

After you get the birth certificate, you should visit the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs with the same set of required documents to add the new born to the family book.

For more information, you can check below links:

Getting a passport

Based on the birth certificate, you can apply for a passport of the baby.

UAE nationals can apply for their children’s passport through General Directorates of Residence and Foreigners Affairs/Citizenship Departments. They can also apply online through the Ministry of Interior’s website.

Expatriate residents need to apply to their embassy in the UAE.

For more information, refer to the links below:

Getting Emirates ID and a residence visa

For information, refer to the sponsoring your family in the UAE in the visa and Emirates ID section. 

Useful links:

Maternity leave and entitlements

Read about maternity leave and entitlements in the public and private sectors.

Birth statistics

According to Federal Competitiveness and Statistics Centre, in 2018,

  • 16,482 Emirati females and 17,218 Emirati males were born bringing the total to 33,700 births
  • 30,093 expatriate females and 31,512 expatriate males were born bringing the total to 61,609 births.

Leave a Comment