Rules For Spouse Visa In Canada

If you and your spouse wish to get a residence visa, hence, you have decided to move in with your better half in Canada. While on one hand staying together with your love is every couple’s dream; however, think about the troubles that could arise if you are not well-informed about the rules for spouse visa in Canada.

Are you an overseas national who wishes to move to Canada with your Canadian spouse? If so, this post is for you. The Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will require you to make sure that you follow certain rules when applying for a spousal visa. These rules are made in order to not only check if the couple is married but also to make sure they will live a life together where they meet their financial obligations and take good care of each other. This information will guide anyone looking for spouse visa in Canada.

Rules For Spouse Visa In Canada

Decided to become a Canadian citizen? Then you must be wondering if your spouse will have to go through the same procedures as you do. This article is written to help you get thorough information regarding all the formalities that you need to follow while applying for dependent spouse visa in Canada.

Table of Contents


Are you a citizen or permanent resident or work permit holder in Canada wanting to bring your dependents to Canada? To facilitate families to live together, the Government of Canada allows eligible residents above the age of 18 to sponsor dependent spouses, children, parents, partners, and grandparents to live with them in Canada. Y-Axis can help you reunite with your family with our dedicated Canada dependent visa services.


The Canada Dependent Visa allows you to bring your dependents to Canada and also allows them to work or study full time once they have the relevant permits. Under the Canada Dependent Visa, you can sponsor the following relations for a dependent visa:

  • Your spouse or common-law partner or conjugal partner
  • Dependent children under the age of 21
  • Dependent parents or grandparents
  • A child you adopted outside Canada while you held a Canadian citizenship or PR
  • Your brother, sister, niece, nephew, uncle, aunt or other close relatives

The relations you sponsor can live with you in Canada. Your spouse or conjugal partner can also apply for a Work Permit in order to work in Canada.


You must be over the age of eighteen to participate.

You must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of the country.

Except in the case of a disability, you should not be taking government aid.

You must be in the low-income threshold.

You and your spouse must be married legally.

You need to have genuine relationship with your dependents.


Passport information and travel history

Documentation to prove background

Documentation for a spouse or partner, such as a marriage certificate

Other evidence of a relationship

To demonstrate adequate funds, the sponsor must provide proof of income.

Consulate fees and a completed application


You must be at least 18 years old to participate.

You must either live in Canada or plan to return once your spouse or partner become a permanent resident.

For the following three years, you must be able and willing to meet your spouse’s or partner’s basic financial necessities.

You will not be allowed to sponsor your partner unless they are a member of the family class. To sponsor your spouse, you must be a citizen, permanent resident, or have a work visa.

You must have a real relationship with your spouse, one that was not formed only for the purpose of obtaining permanent residency. Your relationship must be at least a year old.

Child visa to bring dependent children to Canada

The dependent visa allows sponsors to bring their children to Canada:

  • Child adopted outside Canada when the sponsor was a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in the country
  • Child that they intend to adopt in Canada
  • Sponsor’s brother or sister, nephew or niece, grandson or granddaughter if they are an orphan and meet the eligibility criteria

Eligibility conditions for child visa:

  • The child must be under 22 years who does not have a spouse, or a common law or conjugal partner.
  • The dependent child must be the biological child or the adopted child of the sponsor.
  • The child must prove he is dependent on the sponsor/parent for his financial needs.
  • Dependent children who are not able to support themselves due to a physical or mental condition have no age limit for seeking sponsorship.
  • The sponsor must submit proof of his relationship with the dependent children.
  • The children who are being sponsored must undergo a medical examination and also submit proof that they have no criminal cases pending against them.
  • The medical examination must be done by a physician who is approved by the Canadian government.

Eligibility conditions to sponsor a dependent:

If an individual wants to sponsor a Dependent Visa for Canada, he must submit documents that provide information about his finances for the past 12 months to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). This will help the authorities to determine if the sponsor has the means to financially support the members which includes his dependent children.


The documentation required for sponsoring a dependent under the Canada Dependent Visa includes:

  • Passport & travel history
  • Background documentation
  • Spouse/partner documentation including marriage certificate
  • Other proof of relationship
  • Income proof of sponsor to show adequate finances
  • Completed application & consulate fees

Leave a Comment