The winter months are a great time to visit Santa Fe, New Mexico. You’ll enjoy some of the best snow on earth and the chance to explore a city with a rich history and unique culture.
If you’re traveling by car or RV, be sure to stop by the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum, which opened in 1997 and is home to more than 300 of her paintings. It’s also located next door to the historic Palace of the Governors, which has been around since 1598.
You can also tour Ghost Ranch—a ranch that was once owned by Albert Bender, but was later purchased by Michael Rockefeller (who commissioned architect John Gaw Meem to design it). It’s now an artist retreat center with stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
The Santa Fe Opera House is another must-see spot, as is Tesuque Pueblo—an ancient Native American community located just north of Santa Fe proper.
The best months to visit Santa Fe in the winter are October and November, when the weather is warm enough to enjoy outdoor activities and the crowds are thin. These months also offer plenty of beautiful foliage and low prices on hotels and flights.
- The average temperature in January is 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The average precipitation is 0.7 inches.
- The average snowfall is 3.3 inches, which is about the same as the amount of rain that falls during this time of year (it’s about equal to a quarter inch per day).
- Average humidity levels are 45%. If you’re coming from a place with high humidity, this will feel pretty low to you! It may be helpful to bring some additional clothing just in case; if it gets cold enough for snow and ice, it can also get quite windy here—so be prepared either way!
March is a great time to visit Santa Fe, with the weather being milder than in December and January. From the middle of March through early April, you can expect mostly sunny skies and warm temperatures in the 70s. But if you want to avoid crowds on your vacation, steer clear of Cinco de Mayo weekend (May 5–7), when tourists flock to Santa Fe for a raucous celebration.
Whether you’re flying in for a weekend or planning an extended stay, there’s no doubt you’ll want to make the most of your trip. While it’s easy to fall back on the same old places when visiting Santa Fe—the Plaza, Canyon Road galleries (and restaurants), and even Canyon de Chelly—there are plenty of seasonal activities that are great ways to explore this city at any time of year.
December brings shorter days and colder nights, but it also means fewer people in town for the holidays. Locals will tell you that December is actually one of their favorite times to visit; traffic isn’t so bad yet because fewer tourists have arrived, but things are still busy enough with families making last-minute shopping runs before Christmas Eve. If you’re looking for something more active than strolling around downtown streets lined with festive lights and holiday displays, consider these five ideas:
October is a great time to visit Santa Fe, NM. The weather is nice and warm, with average temperatures of 70 degrees F. There are many things to do in Santa Fe, NM in October. October is the perfect time to visit Santa Fe, NM
November is the best time to visit Santa Fe. The weather is mild, with temperatures ranging from 30-40 degrees during the day and dropping down to around 20 at night. Snowfall is also possible during November, but it’s not as likely as in other months.
As you prepare your itinerary for a trip to Santa Fe this winter, be sure to consider these activities:
- Try out some local ski resorts! If there’s snow on the ground when you’re visiting, check out some of these favorites: Cimarron Ski Area; Sandia Peak; Red River Ski Area (near Taos); Angel Fire Resort; Ruidoso Ski & Summer Resort; Pajarito Mountain Ski Area; Bandelier National Monument (for cross-country skiing).
- Take a carriage ride through downtown Santa Fe. You’ll learn about many interesting facts about New Mexico’s capital city by listening closely to your tour guide or driver while passing through its historic neighborhoods like Downtown Plaza and Canyon Road Arts District—and maybe even get lucky enough to spot some bison grazing in nearby fields!
These are the best months to visit Santa Fe in winter.
- Winter is a great time to visit Santa Fe. The city has a mild climate, with an average high temperature of 65 degrees in January and February.
- If you’re planning on visiting Santa Fe in the winter, there’s no shortage of things for you to do!
- The best months for winter travel are December through February. These months usually have warm weather with average temperatures ranging from 40-60 degrees Fahrenheit (5-15 C). Snowfall typically starts around December and continues throughout January and into early February.
As you can see, Santa Fe has a lot to offer during the winter. You can enjoy activities like skiing, snowboarding and other outdoor sports. If you want to experience the city in its full glory, then plan your trip now!