Visa For New Zealand And Australia

If you are visiting Australia or New Zealand (NZ) as a tourist, there are two different types of visitor’s visa for which you can apply. The two types of visitors’ visas are the Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) and the Tourist Visa subclass 600. Both of these visitors’ visas allow you to stay in both countries for between 3 months and 12 months.

Can I get a New Zealand or Australia visa? This is a common question that New Zealand and Australia travel consultants receive.  If you are planning to study, work or reside in these countries, you may need a visa. So, before you pack your bags and start your journey to these wonderful countries, take a minute to read this article. We will base our discussion today on – Visa For New Zealand And Australia. But, other resources which you can find on our website include some frequently asked questions such as: australia tourist visa for nz residents and do new zealand permanent residents need visa to australia

Visa For New Zealand And Australia

Visas and immigration

Visa Services

Visa applications are not accepted at the Australian High Commission, Wellington.

All visa and immigration services are undertaken at the Australian High Commission in Suva, Fiji. This applies to all clients in New Zealand, Cook Islands, Niue, Tokelau, and the Pitcairn Islands.

The fastest and easiest way to apply for most Australian visas or citizenship matters is online, through ImmiAccount.

In New Zealand, VFS Global operates Australian Visa Application Centres (AVACs) in Auckland, Christchurch, Dunedin, Queenstown and Wellington. Please visit the VFS Global website at: for further information on the services available

Please note:  There is no longer any requirement for your passport to be valid for six months after your travel. Your passport must be valid only for the period of your intended travel in and out of Australia.

Changes to Visitor visa lodgement arrangements

The Department of Home Affairs has now introduced 100 per cent online lodgement for Visitor visas (subclass 600).

Paper applications will no longer be accepted as valid.

Applying for your visa online is the most efficient way to apply. There are many benefits to applying online, including:

  • Faster processing times
  • Apply online at any convenient time
  • Use mobile devices to apply
  • Attach documents online
  • Check application status, correct mistakes or update details online.

Further information and guidance on applying online and ImmiAccount is available on the Department’s website: Applying online

More information about these changes will be updated on the Department’s website for each Visitor visa (subclass 600) stream page. A list of all streams is at:

Citizens of New Zealand

If you are a New Zealand citizen, do not have tuberculosis or a criminal conviction, you can live and work in Australia without applying for a visa in advance. You will be eligible for a Special Category Visa (subclass 444) which is granted on arrival when you travel on a valid New Zealand passport.

If you have questions regarding the Special Category Visa (Subclass 444) or applying for other visas, please see these Frequently Asked Questions.

Travelling with a Criminal Conviction –

Citizens of New Zealand (travelling as a permanent resident)

On arrival in Australia, New Zealand citizens who have been granted a permanent residence visa should tell Australian Border Force officers the following: 

  • that you have a permanent residence visa (for example 189 Skilled Independent visa)
  • that you do not want a Special Category visa (subclass 444)

If you don’t tell them, you might be granted a subclass 444 visa. The grant of a subclass 444 visa might affect your eligibility for:

  • permanent residency (including any Government benefits), 
  • being eligible for a Resident Return Visa (RRV) 
  • Australian citizenship.

If you are issued with a new passport, please advise the Department of Home Affairs:

Citizens of other countries (in New Zealand)

If you are not a citizen of New Zealand, you must obtain a visa or travel authority before travelling to Australia. To work out what kind of visa you are eligible for visit – Find a Visa

For further information about visa fees, please see

Most people will need to provide their biometrics (fingerprints & facial images) when applying for a visa. For information on biometric collections please visit the VFS Global website

Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) and visa options

From 6 April 2022, all ETA-eligible passport holders can now apply for an ETA using the Australian ETA app. For more information, see the step-by-step guide on the Home Affairs website.

If you are unable to use the app, you can apply online through ImmiAccount for another visa that suits your needs.

European passport holders may be eligible for an eVisitor (subclass 651).

At this time, ETA lodgement is only available through the Australian ETA app.

Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) referrals

After you have applied for an ETA, you should wait for written notification which will be sent by email. In most cases, you will be notified of the result of your ETA application immediately, although sometimes there may be a delay.

You should not confirm your travel arrangements until you have been granted your ETA.

If you have been notified that your ETA cannot be processed or approved without further information, you can:

European passport holders might be eligible for an eVisitor (subclass 651). There is no service charge for an eVisitor. You can apply online for an eVisitor through ImmiAccount.


If you have not yet received your ETA notification, check your emails (including your junk mail folder). Notifications can take up to 12 hours after applying. You can also confirm if your application has been approved by checking your visa status through the AustralianETA app or by using the Check an ETA function.

Please do not call or approach the Australian High Commission in person regarding your ETA application.

Contact Us

If you have read this information and still need help, you can contact the Visa Office at the Australian High Commission in Suva here: Contact us

Visit the Home Affairs website for further information regarding visas or citizenship. If you are unable to find the information you need on the Home Affairs website, telephone the Global Service Centre.

Beware of Visa Scams
To avoid being scammed, you can check the Register of Migration Agents on the OMARA website, to receive the protections of an OMARA registered Migration Agent. There are Australian registered migration agents working all around the world in countries such as India, the United Kingdom, China, and New Zealand, just to name a few. These agents are subject to the same Code of Conduct, professional development and regulations as registered migration agents based in Australia. More information about Australia’s efforts to ensure the integrity of the migration advice profession is available at:

Working Holiday Visa Requirements

Working holiday visas have the following criteria:

Nationality Your country of citizenship must have an active exchange program with another country.
Age In most cases, you must be between the ages of 18-30. However, Canadian and New Zealand citizens can apply for working holiday visas up to 35 years old.
Employment You can usually work for the same employer for only six months with working holiday visas – sometimes three depending on the country of origin and where you are working. Some countries also limit the type of employment working holiday visa holders can have.
Number of visasMost countries have an annual quota for working holiday visas. It is a first-come, first-served basis.
One-time visa holderMost countries issue a working holiday visa only once per person, with the exception of Australia, which allows participants to receive the visa more than once due to its second and third-year work and holiday programs.

Additional Documentation May Be Required

Additional documents may be requested to establish if you are qualified. For example, additional requested documents may include evidence of:

  • The purpose of your trip,
  • Your intent to depart the country after your trip, and/or
  • Your ability to pay all costs of the trip. 

Evidence of your employment and/or your family ties may be sufficient to show the purpose of your trip and your intent to return to your home country. If you cannot cover all the costs for your trip, you may show evidence that another person will cover some or all costs for your trip.

Visa For Holiday can offer you the service, We ensure that all of our clients get their Visa processed quickly, efficiently and smoothly. Our visa services are available to all our clients who seek to visit a country other than the one they live in. Getting a visa is becoming much easier with the available number of visa consultants and services that you can access online.

Travel or move to Australia

Leave a Comment